*NO* Sonic the Hedgehog 2 'Synth Sonic'

djpretzel

Email sub M.T. Yankovich-- Sonic 2-- Synth Sonic OC Remix.mp3 -djp

Greetings.

This is my remix of "Metropolis Zone" from Sonic 2. Entitled "Synth Sonic", it's a kind of flash back to the 80s like my Thunder Force IV remix from a while back. This one is A LOT of new material... almost to the point of being an original song. However, the rhythm & melody of parts of the original does come through in various sections of the remix. Here's the needed info...

Remixed by: The Coop

Title: Synth Sonic

Original Composer: Masato Nakamura

Game: Sonic the Hedgehog 2

System: Genesis

Date: 1992

Thanks for your time and hope you enjoy it ^_^

-- The Coop

Grado SR-60's came in today, so let's put these babies to work.

The Coop's music doesn't seem to have progressed much from his initial mixes in terms of sound quality and application; most of these samples and synths sound like default presets without much tweaking, again. Volume levels are quite low, again. So we've got average sounds and poor recording.

So why am I going to pass this? Because The Coop has excelled at arrangement, again, and a few of his usual weaknesses actually contribute to this mix. The generic drumset and simplistic synths achieve a great 80's feel, with the intro'ing kicks and bassline sounding akin to Blue Monday; very poppish 80's indeed. Fantastic to see so much harmonious, original progression inspired by short theme.

I'd love to see at least some attention focused on the audio bits, like a richer sound on the compressed kicks and actual reverb, but in the end, arrangement will always be valued highest, so I'll take what I can get.

YES

With a piece that relies so heavily on synth sounds I would have liked more attention paid to effects- I think there's one pitch bend near the end, but otherwise everything is played rather straight.

Maybe some more variety in sounds would be appropriate as well- in particular, that high pitch lead becomes tiresome. Likewise, the form might benefit from a few musical divergent sections- like at 1:21, except longer.

Not bad work overall though.

YES

Wha? After listening to the whole thing, I don't think it's recognisable as a metropolis mix, and will have much of the listeners scratching their heads. Yeah it's got an 80's feel, and the sound is passable, the arrangement satisfactory, but this is just not metropolis.

NO

It is rare to find a mix that bears no resemblance to the original.

• 3 weeks later...

Hmm. This one sort of passed by. The synths all have a similar sound with the quacking brass getting on my nerves pretty quickly and reminding me of the original Sega brass sound. The drums are decent, but fairly repetitive, which would be fine if there were more variation elsewhere. This just sort of keeps going and going without anything that really grabs my attention as a listener. I don't know the original, so this is just my analysis of the song standing on its own.

NO

D

Completely in agreement with Dan here. The drums are amazingly weak and just seem distant from the rest of the song, and the rest of the song has a whooooooooooole lot of synth brass stuff going on. The bassline is dull, and I really can't hear Metropolis Zone in this one. It sounds like a completely new song... The arrangement's not too bad, besides the fact that the song sounds completely transformed. Everything (except perhaps some of the drums) seems to be panned to the center, too, which doesn't help with the already lo-fi sound this remix has.

NO

My first tie breaker! I feel like a kid in a candy store... with the ability to utterly annihilate that candy store's hopes, dreams, and wishes with a mere thought.

And so... it begins

First Impressions:

Though I do enjoy the 80's, dare I say, I love the eight-tees, I can't find Metropolis anywhere in this song. Now before I go any further, let's have a moment of hipocracy, shall we?

Q: WTF? Wingless, you fucking write songs that sound NOTHING like the original

A: riiiight... But the original IS in there. Somewhere.

Q: STFU NOOB!

Having said that, no, I can't find Metropolis in here, so strike one.

The arrangement is very, nice however. And it really captures the authentic 80's feel. So... ball one?

Lasting Impression:

So I guess, for me, it all comes down to a question of should a mix be posted on the grounds that it is technically satisfactory, but sounds nothing like the original. If I weren't the deciding vote, I would probably go No, on the grounds that some small but distinct part of the mix must be a part of the original. I've looped this I don't know how many times and can't find it. And I'm scouring.

I vote No, and here's why:

It's technically proficient. It's a very well put together little arrangement. But the sign on the door says OverClocked REMIX. And to that ideal, I submit.