*NO* Super Mario 64 'Definitely Koopa'

Liontamer

ReMixer name: Evahn

UserID: I have one, but I don't know how to find out what it is, and it's late, and I don't really care, so I'm not going to spend much time looking for it

game arranged: Super Mario 64

song arranged: Bowser's Theme

arrangement title: Definitely Koopa

I almost thought about calling it "Totally Koopa," but that would be too much!

Before you listen to this, know that I intended for it to sound ridiculous. I wanted it to sound heavy, dark, even groovy, but definitely ridiculous, which I think turned out pretty well. When I started working on it, I wasn't planning on submitting it here; it was going to be mostly a straight cover, which will be pretty apparent for the first 20 or so seconds. It starts off pretty straightforward, besides the intro. I even aimed for similar sounding drums and bass guitars, because I did want my version to have a similar feel. I tried to make it sound like something Bowser himself might listen to. But then I kept adding to it, until I somehow ended up with a guitar solo, a bass effect 'duel' of sorts, and even vocals. Also know that, with the vocals, they aren't meant to be heard substantially; I actually wanted my singing to fit in with the other instruments as if it were one.

It's not exceptionally long. I planned to have a tie-in with the Bowser's Road theme from SM64 also, but I scrapped everything I had for that and focused entirely on this theme instead.

I don't know what you'll think of the midi in the melody parts. As you'll hear, I could've definitely done the melody differently. But, like I said, I was aiming for ridiculous, almost humorous, and the midi seemed to fit that part. Also, that midi sound I'm also using for my own songs that I've been writing recently, so I'm kind of into that sound right now.

Lastly, on my myspace page you can listen to an early version of this track, if that would interest anyone. Goodnight.

--------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.zophar.net/download_file/12246 - (30) "Koopa's Theme"

Are you ever going to change that drumloop? :lol: Just sayin', bro. The drumloop being so simple and nothing else going on left the track sounding too simplistic.

Aside from that, the guitar performance was really rough. The notes weren't off, but it should have been tightened up a lot; e.g. :52-1:18 sounded very sloppy and had no meat to it. I liked the effect at 1:27 to add something new as far as the lead, but 1:44 went back to the same formula.

Also, I know your SMB3 mix was relatively short and simple, but that one completely altered the mood of the Warp Zone theme and used the dual guitars & effects to occupy the whole soundscape. This one didn't have much interpretation of the source and instruments didn't fill the space enough; the feel wasn't much different beyond adapting this for guitar. Provide more textural depth and more development/interpretation of the source tune to bring this closer to a go.

NO

Like your previous SMB3 mix, this has a simple charm that I like, sort of Smoke on the Water-y. But I thought it was too rough and underdeveloped. Those drums just don't cut it. Too much repetition, and such basic sounds. It needs something to it so that doesn't sound like the same thing each time. The guitars by contrast don't bother me as much, because you've got some human elements there making each repetition a little different. Not a lot of source interpretation either, so including more of the source, or using it in more ways would help.

Production was also a killer here. The guitars eat up all the space, probably because of the heavy distortion, covering up the other instruments. More EQ, man! Some minor bits: the opening synth was slightly irritating (tone down those 1.5k and up frequencies), and the crazy panning on the synth at 1:27 was a bit much to take.

I'm not sure I see this one making it, because the very simple concept isn't working in your favor this time. It would take some retooling and expansion to have this pass, which might transform it out of what you wanted it to be. I still look forward to hearing more from you, whatever it might be.

NO

The production here is, in my humble opinion, not good. The distortion sounds more like clipping or an angry wasp, everything's very loud and the creative effects aren't put to very good use.

The arrangement is very simplistic and the performance sounded quite sloppy which is a shame which such a simple tune. The interpretation is kept at minimal and the grating drumloop takes away a lot from the track.

This doesn't have what it takes to be accepted and I recommend that you get some feedback and listen to other people's remixes in the WIP-forums and #ocrwip to get a good idea of what it takes to be posted. Good luck!

NO