Real name - Osmo Jaakkola

Email - orbik@ihme.org

UserID - 24839

Submission

----------

Game - Tyrian

Song - "Tyrian, The Song"

Original soundtrack in LDS format:

AdPlug Winamp plugin for playback: http://www.informatik.uni-oldenburg.de/~dyna/adplug/

comments:

This isn't really supposed to be a completely original arrangement, but my interpretation of how the song should've sounded like. The biggest change is probably the drum track, which seemed lacking in the original. So I programmed a new one with a semi realistic hard rock feel. And with rock comes naturally guitars and bass. Then there are synths and orchestral strings which follow the original structure and chords, but everything redone to fit the base rock feel. The lead isn't played exactly note for note like original either but there shouldn't be any obvious changes.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks for providing a link to the original.

Tyrian (Game Rip) - "Tyrian, The Song"

I feel what you're going for with this one, it's a badass cover, and it does enhance the original a lot. However, melody, structure, and tempo are basically the same and this doesn't get particularly interpretive. If you explored the theme more, got more melodically interpretive, and added some solos, this would definitely be gold for here, especially because the performance and production aspects were so solid. If you're cool with it staying the more cover-ish route, that's cool; nothing inherently wrong with that, and it's an excellent piece. But if you're willing to take it to that next level, definitely explore the potential here for more interpretation.

Looking forward to hearing more from you, whatever it may be.

NO (resubmit)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

This sounds very good. Production is clean and crisp, the drum sequencing and sound is very good, the guitar playing is great and the general energy really clicks. Minor things were string articulations in the intro and how the ride cymbal sound strange when you make a roll on it, only difference in volume not tone.

However this is very similar to the source. Judging from your own comments it seems like you knew this already. If you want to make a more interpretive arrangement (it doesn't have to be THAT much!) please do so because pretty much everything else clicked for me.

NO(resubmit)