Gamebridge alternative

The Pezman

So I'm thinking of investing in a gamebridge type device in order to play games if I'm not going to be around a TV for a while, and also to record console gameplay on my laptop. Unfortunately, the Gamebridge seems kind of low end. I don't mind paying a little more for quality, but I don't know what other types are out there. I don't even know what to google for. Any help along these lines would be appreciated, especially from those who have managed to record gameplay directly before.

depends on what you're trying to convert. if it's an RCA signal (as in the yellow coax cable), a vga-to-rca converter would work, like this one. or you could get this and this. both get you a standard-def experience. if you've got a component kit for an original xbox or don't have an hdmi-enabled current system, or only have a vga-based monitor, get this. if you want a next-gen console plugged into a monitor, you can just get an hdmi-to-dvi converter and plug it straight in, no changing required. don't forget to get a female rca audio (red and white) to female 1/8th inch plug for your audio out from the console to your desktop speakers or volume-adjusted headphones.

note that if you need to go from vga to dvi, there's a lot of cheap gender changers available online. i have six or seven sitting around from graphics cards i've bought in the last few years.

this will, however, only work on a normal monitor - a laptop monitor doesn't have an 'in' connection that it can take because of how it's been designed (unless it's a specialty laptop...i don't know macs all that well). if you want something that'll allow you to play on your laptop, you'd need a usb-based capture device. it's a different thing, and they can be really expensive. there's also lag time between the capture and when it actually happens, so you can't use it for real-time gameplay.

edit: i should point out that i really do suggest buying from monoprice. they're cheap, their shipping is super cheap and pretty fast, and although it looks like a hack site it's got a lot of really decent-quality stuff there. will you get monster-quality cables there? no. but you will get what you need for pretty cheap, and they're pretty good quality. i've bought all my home theater cables from there, and i really like the quality of stuff i've gotten.

Hmmm. Well, I'm not trying to plug into a regular computer monitor. And if the USB devices experience too much lag, I can wait until I build my own machine. There are many capture cards available, but none seem to accept component (which I need, since I have a Wii and PS2 and enjoy my colorz). At least none that I've seen, anyway.