* Your ReMixer name: Red Rum

* Your real name: Greg Costa

* Your email address: red.rum@live.com

* Your website: http://www51.sitesled.com/

* Your userid on our forums, found by viewing your forum profile: 15997

Submission Information

* Name of game(s) arranged: Streets of Rage

* Name of individual song(s) arranged: The Last Soul

* Your own comments about the mix, for example the inspiration behind it, how it was made, etc.:

Well, this remix actually I never thought was going to be good at all. In fact I thought it was just going to be another project that I would just throw in the trash heap, but I guess not. When I first submitted a remix on here, I heard that the judges liked the remix, but it was more of the less a cover more than an arrangement. So I decided to remix The Last Soul and only this time, create new parts that I composed myself and create a new sound that isn't close to the source.

I originally called this track "The Last Chance," but I felt as though it was too close to the original source's title, so I decided to call it "Synthesis." Synthesis is a process which combines together two or more pre-existing elements resulting in the formation of something new. That is exactly what I tried to do here on this piece.

My inspiration behind this, well... I was listening to the Bare Knuckle OST CD from Japan and I heard Yuzo Koshiro's arranged version of this track and then I thought to myself, "That's how you make an arrangement." I also have to thank a remixer named "Jredd" as well for explaining and going into detail about an arrangement. Basically he told me that you mix your own music into someone else's piece. So I started from the top, composing my own music into someone's else piece. At first I must admit, I felt awkward and then I just kept going with it and then it just led to this. So I submitted a WIP on the forums for people to listen to and write reviews, etc.

http://www.ocremix.org/forums/showthread.php?t=19047

Eventually, I started getting some feedback and then I read carefully and figured that I would do what the reviews say and try them out and see what works and what didn't. I kept releasing different versions to see what others thought and then I decided to finish it up and clean it up so the production was very clear and the arrangement was original. I also tried to create a breakbeat in the track at 1:48-2:06. Pretty epic and I believe it worked well.

I've been also trying to get one of my works on OCRemix for a very long time because I felt as though that if I tried to reach that goal, it would just make me better in the long run. I think this remix actually shows it... Anyways, thank you and enjoy the piece. :)

-------------------------------------------------------------

Love this source. Of course.

http://project2612.org/download.php?id=53 - "The Last Soul"

Opening up, the synth design already sounded pretty underwhelming. Things picked up at :18, but the textures felt simplistic and never quite cohesive. The percussion was the strongest area, IMO, and had some presence. The timing of the melody's sequencing felt too rigid until the chorus. The soundscape could have been cleaned up a bit as well, but it was OK.

I'm cool with changeups, and the breakbeats at 1:48 were a decent concept, but didn't seem to fit with the rest of the piece, probably exacerbated by the poorly-written dropoff at 2:06. The claps at 2:06 were way too exposed and the texture until 2:24 was empty.

2:41 moved back to the source melody with some new stuff quietly sprinkled into the background. Again, the sequencing was a bit too quantized-sounding.

I thought this was half-decent, Greg, but a ways off. Basically the first and last sections worked a bit better, both in terms of the production and interpreting the source, but there was a lack of finesse and cohesion with everything. Gotta leave it up to the others to elaborate on beyond that.

NO (resubmit)

• 2 weeks later...

There's an unrefinedness permeating this mix. The intro is not bad, but afterward it feels directionless. The original writing bits don't mesh that well with the parts from the source, and it could have been more melodic in sections like 0:36-1:11 and 2:06-2:23. The general mix approach is not bad and I did like the breakbeat section, but the execution is lacking.

Some of the problems boil down to production also. The sounds are muffled and thin and everything sounds hazy. Something needs to stand out or else it becomes very background-y. There are also sections where instruments seem to cover the same territory and those could be spread out across the frequency spectrum more.

Hope these comments help you out if you decide to continue with this mix. I think it'll take some work.

NO

• 2 weeks later...

Source is fantastic. Can't believe I never heard it, damn me and my late-to-the-video-game-party ways.

Synthesis is the word. However some sounds sound like they could've been synthesized a bit better, no offense intended. Overall everything is on the thin side, the mix is lacking bass frequencies and some of the synths sound very basic. The drums are also very repetitive and is way louder than the other elements.

The arrangement feels, like Vinnie said, directionless. Your original parts are good tries but, also like Vinnie said, doesn't mesh well with the rest of the arrangement. Some decent effort at presonalization. Sometimes I can't hear the source, sometimes it's right there. However, as I said, it feels aimless.

In the end this needs more work. The production has issues and the arrangement doesn't feel cohesive.

NO