*NO* F-Zero 'Old Dying Town'

Liontamer

Hi oc team!

I made a remix of the very famous track of "mute city" - (F-Zero)

* Iamjot (remixer name)

* Juergen Brunner ( real name)

* contact@ilikescifi.com ( email address)

* www.ilikescifi.com

* Your userid - i´m sorry, i just didnt find it anywhere,

please help me in this special case

Submission Information

* F Zero

* "Old dying town" (original name: mute city)

* Mute City has one of the most impressive simple but perfect

guitar licks in the game-music history. Thats

exactly why i decided to make a rock remix of this fantastic

title. I used a muted-damped guitar with an old

fuzz pedal of my dad and tried to set the drums as

"authentic" as possible with battery.

The lyrics tell the two different storys, happening beside 2

different streets (so it´s still all about racing). I tried

to sing the words as hard and edgy as possible.

best wishes and go on guys!!!

Jurgen

-----------------------------------------------------------

http://snesmusic.org/v2/download.php?spcNow=fz - "Mute City" (fz-09.spc)

The lyrics are buried in the music, so bring 'em out more. The buildup to 1:08 ended up pretty anticlimactic. 1:40, as well, the new snare pattern there had no energy.

1:51 moved over into the source melody, but there was little dynamic contrast compared to the previous sections. This slowly built up to maybe 2nd gear, if that, when the structure seemed intended to build all the way up to 3rd.

If you can tweak the production, perhaps develop the arrangement for another minute with some more ideas, and make the dynamics more pronounced, you'd have a stronger piece. Good start so far; it has some potential.

NO

• 2 weeks later...

I definitely like your approach here, and the playing is great. I would say the arrangement is almost everything it needs to be. But Larry is totally right that 1:08 does not deliver the impact one would expect. Neither does 1:51. Those drums need to sound fuller and make more use (some use!) of the crash cymbal. It just sounds weird to use the ride in what should be a dirty, energetic song. The vocals and guitars could also be afforded some more space in the upper frequency ranges, which are lacking a little in content.

That's all I got. If you can make the fixes, I think this is a pass.

NO (resubmit)

• 2 weeks later...

I like how you spelled your own name in two different ways :tomatoface:

Ok, seriously now. Thie arrangement concept is great! Simple but effective. Though there are some issues. I, like my fellow judges, wish 1:08 had some more impact after that build-up. Overall it seems like it lacks good transitions and doesn't feel very dynamic. Also it could afford to play with the source melody some more, perhaps in a new part or sprinkled across the other parts.

The production is more of a problem area though. The guitar, while played pretty well, sounds a bit lo-fi. The distortion is crunchy and good but the guitars sound a bit distant and strange, can't really put my finger on it but they seem to be lacking frequencies. The solo sounds flat and muffled too, raise the volume and add some reverb or something! The vocals really needs to be brought forward more, especially the AWESOME falsetto. The drums sound very stiff and the samples are just above decent. You could definitely vary the velocity and the patterns some more.

In short; the concept is great but the production and arrangement needs to be brought to the next level. Try to pinpoint the issues we've brought up, compare to other songs in a similar style and get some feedback on how you can improve. Would love to see a resub of this eventually!

NO(resubmit)