Mega Man ZX - Area O

Vyper

Greetings...

Taking a break from the Frog Dance which I should be submitting soon, I decided to try my hand at Area O from Mega Man ZX. It turned out better than I had expected so I thought I'd share it, and I'd love some feedback. It's pretty much a hard trance remix.

Link: http://boxstr.com/files/4747801_5dsxq/BlackBurn_v3.mp3

Source: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hVrHjGeDn0I&fmt=18

Thank you.

~ Velly

Hmmm...

There are a lot of good sections here; personally I didn't start to like it until about 1:01 or so, I thought that would have been a much better opening than what you had at the start.

Later in the song when the high energy really kicks in is great (2:40). If you could string those two sections together with some more variety in between...

3:10 to 3:45 lost me a little, but from then on it was pretty good.

Just thoughts from my taste. Good luck, I think you could have something great here.

Overall, I liked it, but I can see a few problems/issues. First, I think the intro is a bit too long. It works, but could probably afford to be shorter. I totally agree with Soul Splint on the comments about 1:01, 2:40, and (it was implied) 4:14. Those sections are the basis of the song, and I felt like I was waiting for them to come in.

Also, the 3:10-3:45 - I'm going to say that it could definitely work, but it seemed like it came out of nowhere. Perhaps you could integrate that sound elsewhere in the song and see if the package as a whole feels more complete and less disjointed.

That having been said, I do like what you have thus far. BlackBurn was one of my personal favorites on the ZX soundtrack, and it's nice to see some ZX love on the site. Keep working at it. I look forward to hearing future revisions!

:sleepdepriv: Most of my stuff is on the 50/50 rule, 50% trial 50% error. So a lot of the things I'm saying I'd have to hear before I could really go yay or nay on. That being said, here are my first impressions:

I like the intro the first time I listened to this, but when I re-listened, it develops too slowly for my taste. But the slowdown when the melody enters is done extremely well. Kudos there.

At 2:00, after the melody, you use that warped rasp sort of sound, then at 2:13 go into a different melody/break. It seems to me like the transition almost shouldn't have that little warped segment, seems redundant and really takes away from the build at 2:13. I'd have to hear it another way to know for sure though, just first though.

3:10 is some just fun noises, then again with different fun noises at 3:25. I like these sounds, but they seem out of place here by themselves. I could see them used as background/fill type sounds earlier on in the piece to give them more of a place as lead instruments later on. They might do well in the intro actually.

:tomatoface: Flame of Darkness sounds better than the plural Flames of Darkness methinks. Unless there's some sort of story reason for the plural. Stupid pseudo-grammatical comment, couldn't resist.