Music editing/creating/remixing software

Valentine's Day is coming up and I know my boyfriend would really enjoy so music editing software such as Fruity Loops. But before I go buying it I wanted to know if anyone could suggest a better software option?

He has a windows desktop pc, it's a little bit on the craptacular side though. Running XP home edition I believe.

It needs to be something that he can fiddle around with and make original creations with but also that if he wanted to he could edit other music. I only know of Fruity Loops and Garage Band(bleh).

Thanks!

Well, Garageband is mac only, so that wouldn't be an option for a PC user. There are several other options you could look at, but there are other factors that will play into the decision:

-How much are you willing to spend?

-What kind of music would he be making?

etc.

It's hard to buy something like this as a gift, because you don't know which program he'll feel most comfortable using (workflow-wise). That's why I always recommend people try demo's before purchasing. Kind've difficult given the situation here, though.

If you can answer the above two questions, we can list out the programs that are within reach.

PS.If you do end up deciding on FL Studio, I could give you my referral link for 10% off (and also a kickback to me admittedly), so you can PM me if you'd like it.

Argh, bested in the race to the referral link, you win this time Nutritious!

As far as programs go though, Fruity loops is a good starting program and is one of the cheapest out there. I'd subtly talk to him about this sort of thing sometime and try and get some sort of preference out of him, because sometimes people's workflow just doesn't line up with the program.