CONTACT INFO

ReMixer: Otoki

Email: oto.info@gmail.com

User id: http://www.ocremix.org/forums/member.php?u=26384

SUBMISSION INFO

Game: Megaman 2 (NES)

Song: Wily stage 1

-----------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.zophar.net/download_file/14303 - Track 19 ("Dr. Wily 1")

The opening electronica stuff was OK, although the textures seemed on the empty side and kind of bland. Also seemed like there was some distortion during those sections adversely affecting the sound quality. Transitioned into classical instrumentation around 1:05 for an interesting contrast in styles before going back to the electronic stuff around 1:39. Yeah, pretty cool concept.

Arrangement-wise, this played it pretty straight melodically. 3:17 & 3:45's sections were actually pretty disappointing given the passed up opportunity to do something a lot more interesting with the melodies there, so I had reservations on the arrangement being creative enough beyond the genre adaptation. The new, original, expansive part-writing obviously was a positive, and there was at least some melodic interpretation, though it left me wondering why it played it so straightforward.

The main holding this back to me was the electronic sections not being cohesive enough. The empty space could stand to be filled out either with 1 or 2 additional parts, or with effects on some existing parts to give them more body/depth. You also should toning down some of the distorting areas, and make the melodies from 3:17-4:14 more interesting. Last but not least, the ending at 4:57 cut out too abruptly, so just tweak that to allow the ending to resolve properly. Solid work so far, but it hasn't realized its potential yet.

NO (resubmit)

• 2 weeks later...

The arrangement was interesting, but it felt very unpolished. There's emptiness for large chunks of this and a ton of distortion, both of which I think are caused by how loud the leads are. Sometimes the distortion makes a cool effect (1:00-1:09), but most of the time it just makes the song unfun to listen to. (I find distortion is most effective when paired with mostly undistorted elements for contrast.) The strings in the natural instrumentation sections sound pretty fake and could use some better articulations.

I thought your additions to the Wily melody were actually pretty cool and not as straightforward as Larry made it sound. But as he said, you could have gone further with supporting instrumentation, which would have filled in the missing gaps.

I'd like to see you give this another try, adding some more elements, and smoothing out volume levels to lessen that distortion - polishing up elements that aren't as strong.

NO (resubmit)

The distortion sounds like some kind of clipping or something caused by high levels + compression. Easing up a bit on both the volume and the distortion of parts would probably help this sound less harsh to the ears. The leads are scorching man :) It also feels like there's a lot of empty space in the mix. No real bass is present (enough with the distortion! Use low-pass filters!) and the distortion makes all sounds fight over the same high frequencies.

The strings and piano were unrealistically sequenced and the samples themselves were quite bad. If you perhaps used instruments less sensetive to sample-quality (harp, mallets, pizzicato) and improved the sequencing it would be a good build-up. The electronica parts was a bit straightforward but had some subtle variations to the source that I enjoyed. Could afford to be more interpretive with the source though and adding something that makes the whole thing feel more cohesive. Lastly, the ending is a bit abrupt and clumsily sequenced and it could feel more rounded off.

This shows some promise but is lacking in execution. Work on the mixing and making the piece feel more cohesive and this might have a shot!

NO(resubmit)