Streets of Rage - "Stealthy Steps" [Round 6]

dubbelmoral

[edit: you upped the youtube video while I was typing this, haha]

Don't know the source, so I can't comment on arrangement for the most part. But this is...interesting.

First, the bad:

-Your low 909 drum blast is way too loud and is clipping on this end - the whole mix seems a bit empty too. Some delay/eq work would fix that, if you don't want to add instruments.

-The arrangement needs some beefing up too; it's just boring, IMO.

-Your synths are for the most part lo fi and cool but I'd change a few here and there just for texture variety.

-The leads grate on the ears - especially when they play high, isolated lines by themselves.

-Fadeout? Noooooooooooooooo write an ending

The Good:

-Cool groove, just needs more cohesion and change ups. The beginning is awesome, but it kinda coasts for the rest of the song.

-Production isn't too shabby either

This is a good start, keep it up!

[edit: having heard the source, you don't really stray too far from the original. You need to personalize/arrange your mix more]

Thanks for the quick feedback. I agree it's very close to the original in it's current form. I'm going to try adding a few variations on theme but my music theory is pretty weak and I struggled just figuring out the original stuff, hehe.

Didn't notice any clipping when I was bouncing it, but I think the 909 kick you're referring to was the one I sampled from the game, so I'll try smoothing it out or re-recording it. Heh, not sure what to do about the ending. I thought the wind-down/fadeout sounded good but there's probably something more creative I can try.

Now if I can just figure it out before I get burnt-out working on this.... :grin: