VJing

This academic year, Dickinson unveiled its kickass new science center. Of course, it's not for Computer Science so I don't care about it that much. However, they do have a fantastic lecture room which allows people to easily hook up their laptops to ceiling speakers and two projectors. That's harder to come by than it might sound.

While the room is meant for teaching, I've had ambitions to repurpose it for some kind of performance, and VJing seems to fit the bill perfectly. I've known about VJing for some time, and I've tried to do some research into it, but while I have found and played around with some VJ software, I haven't come across many youtube videos or anything which could be considered a "VJ performance." I was wondering whether anyone here knew anything more about it and could tell me how it usually works (i.e. do they manipulate the video in real time, etc.).

http://www.resolume.com/avenue/features.php

On the one side, you have a complete library of short clips. You generally trigger these with the letter keys of the keyboard. You also have two clips next to eachother that you can crossfade between.

On the other side, you have a whole load of filters. You handle these in other ways (e.g. numpad, F-keys, maybe the QWERTY with holding shift or ctrl).

Then you start playing with the clips. All the VJing I've seen was for techno/house/trance whatever and for that you need a strong sense of knowing when a DJ is about to introduce a new track.