*NO* Mega Man 9 'Mega Metal Medley'

Liontamer

The Song:

All information in text file:

Contact information:

ReMixer name: FreddeGredde

Email: dsliquid@gmail.com

Website: http://www.youtube.com/user/Freddie25 (if anything)

Member profile: 26623

Submission information:

Game: Mega Man 9

Individual songs: Opening 1, Menu, Concrete Jungle, Thunder Tornado, Splash Blue, Plug Electric, Jewel Temptation, Hornet Dance, Magma Burning, Galaxy Fantasy, Boss, Flash in the Dark, We're the Robots, Wily Machine

Original composers: Ippo Yamada, Yu Shimoda, Ryo Kawakami, Hiroki Isogai

Console: Wii, PS3 and Xbox360. (I played the WiiWare version.)

Commments:

I didn't find any great rock/metal versions of the songs from Mega Man 9, so I decided to do it myself. And since I don't like 50 second songs or looping in music, I decided to make a medley instead.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Rockman 9: The Ambition's Revival!! Original Soundtrack -

(01) Opening 1 [:10-:27]

(11) Plug Electric (Plug Man Stage) [:27-1:16]

(13) Hornet Dance (Hornet Man Stage) [1:16-1:48]

(10) Splash Blue (Splash Woman Stage) [1:48-2:07]

(16) Boss [2:07-2:32]

(15) Galaxy Fantasy (Galaxy Man Stage) [2:32-3:06]

(09) Thunder Tornado (Tornado Man Stage) [3:06-3:51]

(24) Flash in the Dark (Dr. Wily Stage 1) [3:51-4:17]

(12) Jewel Temptation (Jewel Man Stage) [4:17-5:00]

(13) We're the Robots (Dr. Wily Stage 2) [5:00-5:38]

(14) Wily Machine [5:39-6:11]

(05) Menu [6:11-6:23]

(08) Concrete Jungle (Concrete Man Stage) [6:23-6:53]

(14) Magma Burning (Magma Man Stage) [6:53-7:27]

The snare drum tone was a weak link for portions of the track (e.g. :34-2:01). It was too subdued a sound and didn't add any power to the track.

What was up with the abrupt changeups at 2:06, 5:00 & 6:53? The transitions at 3:06, 3:50 and 6:11 also should have been smoothed out. The other theme changes worked fairly smoothly, but there were a lot of jarring moments that prevented the arrangement from sound cohesive.

Your submission must have a strong focus and direction. Medleys must sound like a single song, not multiple songs pasted together.

Yeah, this is lacking focus & direction, which is a shame, because it's pretty capably put together. But medley-itis plus drums that don't bring the power means I can't pass it. If you'd be willing to refine the arrangement so that the changes from theme to theme are smoother, this could be a contender because the expansive ideas aren't bad.

In terms of something that would fit more with the development we're looking for, perhaps 2 separate medleys that explore the individual themes more would be an option. Fairly good stuff regardless.

NO (resubmit)

• 2 weeks later...

Just judged a Mega Man X medley earlier tonight, and now this. Ya'll are killing me with these medleys. Takes like four times as long to judge as a normal sub.

Larry pointed out that some of the transitions are awkward (0:28 is 8-O ), but more importantly to me, a lot of this sticks close to the original material adapted to guitar, organ, and other instruments. There are a few inspired moments like 5:21-5:33 which go for a different mood, but otherwise not a lot of surprises. I don't think this song is quite right for OCR, though you're clearly a gifted player and producer. If you're got something lying around that's a little more interpretive, I hope you send it our way!

NO

• 2 weeks later...

Now you made me listen to the Mega Man 9 soundtrack! Good stuff.

I have to pretty much agree with my fellow judges here. Some of the transitions (I actually said 'what the fuck' at 5:00) could definitely have been handled better. We're looking for interpretive arrangements of sources and not a couple of almost-covers (however good they might be) put together.

That aside, you're a great guitarist and the production is pretty damn good imo. The drums were a bit weak but not to the extent that it hurts the track, in other words I thought Larry was a bit harsh on the snare ;) The track was also well adapted to the different instruments (even though there were very few actual changes in the melodies). I enjoyed 5:21 quite a bit, throw more ideas like that out there!

Overall this is not what we're looking for even though it's good. This would certainly have been a hit over at VGMix, The Shizz or in a DoD competition but as I said, we're looking for more interpretive arrangements. Medley-itis and lack of originality brings this down, sorry. If you feel you're interested in making a more interpretive arrangement down the line, send it our way since you're obviously very skilled and I'd love to hear what you can come up with.

NO