*NO* Legend of Zelda & Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening 'Koholint Anthem'

Liontamer

Remixer name: psi807

E-mail: psi807@gmail.com

User ID: None.

Name of game(s) arranged: The Legend Of Zelda + The Legend Of Zelda - Link's Awakening

Name of individual song(s) arranged: Overworld Theme

Comments: Made for a demo contest @ Dreamhack Winter '08.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.zophar.net/download_file/14178 - Track 3

The arrangement has some decent ideas behind it in terms of changing the overall feel, but it should have taken a lot more creative liberties with the melody to present something more interesting on that level.

The main killer though was the textures being too simplistic. Stuff like the clap groove (:55-1:42, 3:07-4:06), boom-tss (2:37-2:43) and Amen breaks (2:48-2:54) just sounded thin & flimsy for the energy you were trying to create.

Build upon this with a bit more instrumental and production substance and do more with the arrangement of the source melody.

NO

God, I LOVE the gameboy rendition of the overworld theme. It's sex.

I'm with Larry all the way here, there should definitely have been some more interpretive source usage and variation. You have a good basic idea but the execution is lacking. I really enjoyed some of the different variations that Larry pooped on though. Even if it is boom-tiss and amen break they were pulled off well and worked as a "break" of some sort.

The sounds are a bit on the simple sound but above that they're mixed a bit awkward with the saw taking up ALL the space in the mix and the melody struggling to be heard. Compressions seems a bit hard too.

Overall good fun but needs to be more developed in terms of arrangement and general quality of the production. Keep it up though!

NO

• 2 weeks later...

Not interpretative or varied enough, though enjoyable in its own right. The melody wasn't handled very creatively, and the backing tracks stay on autopilot within a section. The gear changes were fun, but within a given section, there's no surprises. Drums get really tiring.

The production needs some work. The lead synth and some of the percussion (especially that handclap) don't give this enough energy. The compression is also high and gives the track no breathing room.

You've got some good production ideas like the 1:43 section and that sliding background synth around 3:35 that I'd love to see fit into a more interpretative, polished track.

NO