*NO* Streets of Rage 'The Final Encounter'

Liontamer

Hey guys,

I've got a new VG arrangement that I thought I'd send your way. I think I should warn you the final mix down came out quite loud so brace yourselves :). This is a Streets of Rage 1 mix that fuses quite a few elements from different parts of the game into one ever changing song. The first minute or so consists of a synth rock adaption of stage 4. After that, the beat changes to a more traditional SoR style groove with some choir backing which leads into a fusion of parts from stage 8 and 4 coming together. At 1:30 the song switches again while the song takes a detour into some stuff from round 2 while the other melodies and things play off of one another sounding like some kind of jazzy trip hop groove. At around 2:03 there is a shift to a DnB style where a little of the last boss theme makes a breif apperence while round 2 fades out and the hip hop groove returns for a moment. It ends fading out with a variation on the paino from the title theme of the game. Interestingly, the last bit with the ending strings is a variation on how the start of the SoR 2 title screen and SoR 1 Bad ending song starts. I figured with the song title being "The Final Encounter", that this ending would be fitting.

I aknowledge that the over all mix is pretty loud, and that some insturments may be a bit imbalanced. However, I am hopping it isn't mix killer in light of how interesting the arrangement is. In any case, I'm pretty happy with it over all. Again, the standards of OCremix differ some from my own obviously. Also, I generally respect this site for what it tries to accomplish. Even though I don't really do Resubs much on finished works, I do appreciate the advice you guys and others give out and I do try and apply it to future works. I admit that this arrangement didn't start of with a view to getting it posted here, but I figured it was worth a shot after I had finished it. The link to the song is posted bellow. I hope you guys enjoy this one, all comments and feedback are much appreciated. Thanks,

Trevin/ Jredd-

----------------------------------------------------------------

http://project2612.org/download.php?id=53 - A bunch of 'em

I aknowledge that the over all mix is pretty loud, and that some insturments may be a bit imbalanced.

You don't say. Yeah, this sounded really muddy, and the textures never really locked together properly; more because of the mixing, but also because of the sound choices to begin with. The synth sequencing also sounded too rigid, which hindered the composition's energy from coming out.

The arrangement had some good development, in terms of some themes getting 2 or 3 different sets of backing instruments to constantly evolve the overall feel of the track. The way the track morphed around could have been smoother, but I did like the concept. There were some audio deformations in the last few seconds that need to be removed.

Work on polishing up the mixing but also refining the sequencing to flow more smoothly, and this could be really strong. Good base here, Trevin. I think you should use the WIP forums to make sure your tweaks click properly and give this another shot.

NO (resubmit)

• 3 weeks later...

I was digging the energy in this. It keeps the hard-hitting style of SoR, while adding a lot more in terms of depth. I liked the different styles you took this through, especially the stuttery 1:30 section and the trip-hop beat at 2:24. Would have been nice for the more realistic lead instruments to sound more natural, and the transitions too, but the writing in this was good.

There was definitely a lot of audio deformations going on, where it sounded like there was too much clashing. The opening gets it worst - much too loud and very little bass - but it continues throughout. Using EQ to cut the conflicts would help you out doubly here; it'll reduce the distracting compressor pumping, and give the instruments more clarity.

I realize you're not a fan of resubmits, but I think it'd be awesome to see you fix this one up. All my concerns are production ones, so it would really just make this song sound better, wouldn't be changing what you have. At least think about it. :smile:

NO (resubmit)

The production really drags this down. It's VERY loud and lacks any real low end which makes it sound unfocused and distant (even though it's so loud). Some of the instruments also lacked realism (the organ and strings for example) which dragged the piece down in my opinion. Overall the choice of sounds were interesting though, you just have to balance them and keep everything from distorting too much. Distortion is a useful creative effect but if you overdo it the track can get too noisy.

Arrangement was definitely better and I liked the different styles. The way you switched between these styles were well thought out and I think not much else is needed here.

Overall the production really brings this down but with some careful re-mixing from the ground up this could be really good.

NO(resubmit)