Now Guitar Rig is giving me a problem...

Which version of Guitar Rig, and what effects are you using?

Many guitar effects are mono so there wouldn't be any panning on them anyway. I'd do the panning in your host after the audio has been processed by Guitar Rig. If you're running multiple instruments through one instance of guitar rig and trying to pan them individually, that probably can't be done.

It wouldn't be a simulated mono signal; it would be an actual mono signal. I don't use guitar rig anymore, but I think I remember them saying that some of the effects turn a stereo signal into mono if a stereo signal is input. In a normal guitar pedalboard, it's basically a given that things are done in mono, since that's the signal you'll get from your guitar; Guitar Rig is no different.

Depending on the effects you've used, Guitar Rig may give you real stereo out, but more probably will give you stereo by having the mono output on both stereo channels. Panning this stereo track in your stereo mix will give you what you want.

As for panning the output from Guitar Rig, that'd depend on how you've set it up and also on what DAW you're using. If you have Guitar Rig as an insert effect, hopefully your DAW will pan after all the effects are processed, and the normal panning on your DAW's mixer will give you what you need. If I remember correctly, physical mixers pan after the insert effects have been processed (if the mixer even allows for insert effects; more often, those are applied to a signal pre-mixer).

On the other hand, if you're using a send bus for Guitar Rig (if you're sending two or more audio tracks through the same instance, you probably are), you're basically making a mixer track that is processed in addition to the others that are clean, and both will play back unless you somehow mute the clean track after sending to the Guitar Rig track. Your DAW will let you pan the send track directly.