Liontamer

Original Decision: http://www.ocremix.org/forums/showthread.php?t=18521

Contact Information

* ReMixer name: Suitmonster

* Email address: jjbrandon@gmail.com

* Userid: 24383

Submission Information

* Name of game(s) arranged - Chrono Trigger

* Name of individual song(s) arranged - "Secret of the Forest", and a leg from the "Chrono Trigger" main theme.

* A link to the file:

* Additional information about game including composer, system, etc. (if it has not yet been added to the site) I'm sure sufficient information exists at OCReMix.org, but the original composer is Yasunori Mitsuda.

* Link to the original soundtrack (if it is not one of the sound archives already available on the site) - Available through OCReMix.org, if by some chance there are Philistines who are not already intimately, nigh-sexually familiar with it.

* Your own comments about the mix, for example the inspiration behind it, how it was made, etc.- I've always enjoy the source song, but I did not set out with intent to ReMix anything. This work started by writing an original piece, and while fiddling on the ivories I found that "Secret of the Forest" fit nicely, so I adapted, pushed and shoved until I got a terrible, horrible, stinky remix, and then asked for advice from the WiP forums. After months of reworking it and many emails from supportive ReMixers (huge thanks to Mustin in particular), I managed to come up with something vastly superior to my original shameful effort. I worked on that remix for a while, and submitted a version for the judges to chew on back in August. I received constructive feedback, but (as expected) my mix did not make the cut. I took that feedback to heart, and made several changes. Concerns were mostly with the production quality, and some instrumentation alteration was suggested. Percussion in particular was overhauled. The link above is the resultant resubmission, for your consideration.

* For comparison, the original version submitted in August and rejected in October may be heard here:

----------------------------------------------------------------

http://snesmusic.org/v2/download.php?spcNow=ct - "Secret of the Forest" (ct-111.spc) & "Chrono Trigger" (ct-102a.spc)

I encourage everyone listening to compare the two versions. The arrangement's basically the same, and was pretty personalized as mentioned last time, so I thought that was a go. The production still holds this back, IMO.

Still don't like the drums at :25, but the older style was better. These were just muffled, distant & muddy-sounding. Sounds like some rim hits would work better, something sharper. I did like whatever the percussion was at 2:34 though.

Production-wise this was a step down from first version; a lot more cluttered. The leads did have more body and personality, but the soundscape just sounds devoid of highs and the parts weren't well separated. Still enjoying the arrangement ideas, but fixing all the production/mixing is still gonna be the key to get this where it needs to be.

NO (resubmit)

I came off a bit harsh last time. I think the arrangement is really quite cool and the general vibe is good. There could be some more alterations in the backing pattern, drums especially, to make it seem less repetitive. However, the production is worse this time. Pretty much every element sounds drowned in reverb and muffled. The piano is very quiet compared to the leads, the violin-like sound at for example 1:17 sounds fake and the snare (and drums in general) lacks any punch or high frequencies.

Overall, the arrangement has some cool ideas but the production is really holding this back. Like I said, focus on balancing and making sure everything sounds clear. Getting some feedback in the WIP-forums and #ocrwip on irc.enterthegame.net before submitting again is always a good idea, keep it up John!

NO(resubmit)

I like the choice of chords here and approach given to the source material, I wouldn't have expected this song as such a driving song. The runs in the lead were cool. It felt simple at times, but the arrangement is probably just above the bar.

Production is a killer though; after two votes, I'm not saying anything new. Everything sounds so muffled and muddy. Take a good listen to some professional music to get a sense of instrument shapes. Definitely need more high frequencies. Sometimes the playing was unnatural too, but that's a lesser concern. Give it another try, John.

NO (resubmit)