*NO* Unreal 'Biovision'

Liontamer

Hi there, first proper submit for me :) A remix of a track from the game Unreal, which for me still has one of the best game soundtracks and in fact inspired me to start making my own music for which I thank it to this day :P The original K_Vision.umx has always been a rather loud and intrusive song which I tried to soften up a little, as well as bringing it to the 21st century in terms of sound quality. I hope my own influences make it stand out enough from the original, though I couldn't help reusing a few of the key samples that made this song into what it was :)

Now for the necessary information:

Link to the remix:

Remixer name: Mimo

Email: furymus@gmail.com

Website: http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewProfile&friendID=19742770

userid: 27359

Name of game arranged: Unreal

Name of individual song arranged: K_Vision.umx (File)/ Nightvision (Title)

Additional information about game including composer, system etc.: Released in 1998 for PC by Epic Megagames. The soundtrack was composed by Alexander Brandon and Michiel van den Bos, with some incidental tracks by Dan Gardopee and Andrew Sega

Link to the original soundtrack:

Enjoy! (I hope :P )

~ Mimo

---------------------------------------------------------------

I was gonna say, it sounds like parts of this were sampled from the original, so it made sense to read that in the sub letter. What's with the Unreal series submissions and the need to sample from the originals? Regardless, this didn't involve direct sampling as heavily as "Forgone Conclusion" and this was a pretty straightforward but interpretive take on the original.

I'd actually would have preferred the levels on the everything but the drums raised a little, because the energy's a little underwhelming given what's written. I could have done with the core beats using fills more often to change things up every once, but what was in place was pretty solid. More textural complexity would have helped this, as it could have been more interesting. The arrangement ideas were good, but the production's on the bland side. Overall though, arrangement wins, so this squeaks by for me.

YES (borderline)

What's with the Unreal series submissions and the need to sample from the originals?

They're MODs. :P

Starts off very similar texturally and melodically to the original, and slowly differentiates itself starting at 0:39. Took until 2:15 for this song to really set itself apart (with a brief sneak preview at 1:27), at which point I was liking it a lot more. Back to the opening samples at 3:26, and then at 3:40 you introduced a section that was nearly a dead ringer for 2:28 of the source. Then there was a long fadeout that awkwardly broke back into the opening samples. I wasn't feeling it enough, Tim, sorry. I thought it was too slow and conservative a build-up to get to the really original parts you added, and I especially didn't think you did enough in the first 40 seconds and the last 50 to give your song its own feet.

Larry, don't think that the similarity to [bGC edit] Forgone Rejuvenation* is lost on me, but the opening and closing sections of this song sound almost identical to sections of the original, which I don't think you could say about any part of Foregone Conclusion except maybe the first 30 seconds. I also just don't think the arrangement or production is as solid as that song, and maybe if they were it'd be easier to overlook the intro and outro here.

NO (resubmit)

* A UT sub we passed that also involved heavy sampling

at 3:40 you introduced a section that was nearly a dead ringer for 2:28 of the source

Oooh, wait a minute, I missed that part; Good catch, Vinnie. Nah, that level of drum sampling from the original is too heavy, and the pad sounds too similar if not the same. I disagreed with the whole thing sounding too similar, however; it had the same tempo, but I thought it had meaningful alterations & additions. Regardless though, the level of sampling in the 3:40 section was enough to knock me down from a borderline YES down to a NO (resubmit). Didn't seem like the sampling had been too involved beforehand, but see what you can do, particularly with those last 30 seconds, to make it your own rather than sampling the original.

• 1 month later...

This is definitely a good track. I will blasting this in my speakers. Production was good and the mood was really hot. This would work well in an Unreal mod of some kind.

However, there's not enough personalization here. You both use the source samples AND have sections very similar (or the same) as the source tune. You were on the right track at 2:15 but even that part was very similar to the source. I realize it's hard to arrange a track with no standout melody or chord sturcture. On OCR we want expansive arrangements in terms of melody, instrumentation and harmony. This doesn't really go hand in hand with this kind of source so I hope you keep that in mind when you read the votes. Sad but true. Keep making music though!

NO