Recording mic and game sound seperately in Fraps?

Amayirot Akago

I want to record commentary in Sound Forge while playing a game and recording it with Fraps. Problem is, if I set my sound input to both Stereo Mix and Microphone, both my commentary and the game's sound are included in the Fraps video, as well as in Sound Forge. Is there any way of recording the two seperately?

Set your sound input in what to stereo mix and microphone? Sound Forge? Why not record just the stereo mix in Fraps and your microphone in Sound Forge? Or if you need to record all the audio in Sound Forge (don't know if Fraps records audio or not), record the stereo mix and microphone onto two different channels?

Well, as far as I can tell there's no way to set one device in either program to be recorded seperately; they simply record from whatever devices are selected in Windows' volume control. Sound Forge is the sound editing/recording program I use.

That seems odd to me since it sounds like Sound Forge is a dedicated recording program and it's strange that it would not allow separate inputs. I know ventrilo has a recording option that can record independent of the stereo mix. Perhaps you can record in Vent and then edit in Sound Forge? Or play the game and then add commentary afterwards?