Liontamer

ReMixer name: Solatrus

Email address: jeremy@solatrus.com

UserID: 20610

Submission Info:

ReMix Name: The Element

Game: Golden Sun

Song: Sol Sanctum

Composer, publisher info, etc., is already on the site. :)

Original (not sure if there's an archive of it...):

Comments:

I got the idea to do this remix a few years ago after playing through Golden Sun for the first time, and I've worked on it on and off. I finally posted it at the OCR WIP forum, and gained some fantastic input on it, so thank you to those of you who did so. The song was remixed and produced using FL Studio.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Golden Sun - "The Elemental Stars"

Not bad to start in terms of adding some new wind writing, though the drums at 1:13 felt like a preset loop that was just tweaked around some. Wish the drums did something else at 4:31, but they were only there briefly.

I'm admittedly glossing over the details, but I felt this pulled off a pretty upbeat, yet chill and relaxed vibe. The arrangement approach could have taken more risks & liberties, so I'm not majorly floored, but this still handled the source tune pretty expansively. While I wish there were more twists, I'm down with this one.

YES

EDIT (6/25): Now that I'm listening to this one again, I've gotta agree with Palp and AnSo about the production issues here, and somewhat on the arrangement issues. Not sure why I didn't pick up on how washed out the soundscape was, but that definitely needs to be addressed. I am feeling the expansive ideas in the arrangement, but the drumloop-slapped-on-top nature of the drums definitely bothered me a lot more this time around, and they're right in that the dynamics are stilted for portions of this. I like the base here, but let's take it to the next level.

NO (resubmit)

Agreed with Larry that it's a nice, chilled vibe. The writing you added is subtle at times, but well-integrated, and the new bassline is great. Obviously a very different feel. But I don't think this is there yet for a couple sizable reasons. The production is low-heavy; the writing blends together and it's hard to hear what you've added or what we should be paying attention to. I'd push the leads and drums higher at the >3K frequencies so that they sound more upfront (you'll have to play with it to get it). I'd also try to roll off some lows on some of the instruments. In general, things need more distinct space.

I also thought it was really weird to bring back the drums for 20 seconds at the end, especially since they're a strong element in the song. I'd like to see them used for longer in the end. Finally, I think the song could use more of a dynamic curve. Both times when the drums come in, it feels like there's no build for that moment, they just pop in. Telegraphing them with a build would add to the song.

I'd call it 80-90% of the way there. I really like the atmosphere and writing you've got. Fix a couple problem areas and you will have a really solid remix.

NO (resubmit)

• 1 month later...

I agree with Vinnie on this one. The production has some issues that's holding this track back. The track lacks brightness. Pretty much every element sounds filtered and beyond that they're also drenched in reverb. I feel that you're going for an atmospheric sound and that's cool but this is borderlining lo-fi. The drums actually sound like they're lossy and while that could work in itself it sounds like bad encoding when coupled with the other muffled instruments. The pan flute also has quite an awkward attack.

Arrangement took a few liberties. Decent enough expansion of the source but it lacked dynamic contrast. Vinnie pointed out that the drums just "enter" and I agree it sounds a bit odd. It's also a bit repetitive the way it's anchored to the arpeggio and the drums. Some more variation could really help this along the way.

Overall this shows promise but the production is really bringing it down. Brighten it up and try to clean up the problem areas and it'll be in much better shape. The arrangement is passable but I wouldn't mind some more variation and personalization. Good work but it needs a bit more of that good work! :)

NO(resubmit)