Sound Card recommendations..?

Schwaltzvald

Recently went to my local shops and none of them carry cards that I've ever heard good reviews/news, (heard a lot of horror stories involving the rocketfish brand which are rather "abundant" around here though)

Money's not an issue but I rather not buy an overpriced doorstop...

i've said this before and i'll say it again - unless you're recording live audio straight in that's being effected by your system during the recording process, or using old or high-end MIDI-based controllers for your music, sound cards are useless. they don't do anything that your in-system chip already doesn't do. they don't reduce your cpu load significantly, they don't offer a significant improvement to your audio unless you're a headphone guy, and they don't really assist in anything that you can't get by just making sure you get a decent motherboard to begin with.

they're just smoke and mirrors, living off their rep from ten years ago (when they were actually needed), kind of like NICs.

unless you want to allow for 5.1 and your internal chip doesn't have the outputs, or are recording midi data or software-effected audio, soundcards are not necessary for a computer.

you're recording live audio straight in that's being effected by your system during the recording process;

you're a headphone guy,

software-effected audio

I'm pretty much around here, kinda busy as of late and didn't notice this response.

I tend to do a variety of things such as live recordings; lessons, messages for coworkers and instruction for "certain events" and "procedures". Plus I do the side thing of editing music; bunch of cassette tapes still have to go through and the odd ball request to re-record music from old vinyls from the older members of my family so they can keep their originals intact ect ect

They just like the way vinyls sound to them... :lol: