*NO* Street Fighter 3: 3rd Strike 'Wrong Restaurant'

Malcos

Whoa, this reminds me of Unfinished Symphony by Massive Attack. Hell, this reminds me of Massive Attack in general. Anyway, I like how it starts off. The strings sound sweet, and when the bass comes in, it brings in lots of energy that wasn't there in the intro. The drums are a little lacking, but they work for the style well enough. At times, it seems a tad boring, but I think the style holds it together quite well. Length seems just right, and the ending is a little uncreative, but I'm hardly one to criticize that. The harmonizing on the melody at 2:23 is cool, and builds it up before it comes back full circle.

Good. Not fantastic, but good.

YES

For the rest of the other judges, malcos told me this is Chun Li's theme.

I will be honest, this is a bit of a let down compared to your last mix posted. I loved that one. I don't think this is anywhere in that status, and I know it's not fair for me to compare the two.

You did a good job arranging chun li's theme. Instrument selection is good. The bass and synths are particularly noticeable in a good way. I think the drums are a bit bland, but do their job. Reverb here is a bit much at times, imo of course - except on the piano where I liked that heavy reverb there.

Bass line and the melancholic, thoughtful piano ending sections highlight this mix for me. Good enough arrangement and technical aspects make this an enjoyable track. Slightly borderline, but this is still worthy of postage.

YES

I've been listening to this for a few days now and I really like it. Groovy bass line and nice effects- fun stuff.

As far as the "off notes" comment:

I know it seems that I've made a hobby out of disagreeing with Protricity on "wrong note" issues, but I do try to give him the benefit of the doubt. Even though I rarely hear what he's refering to, I still assume that he's just giving his honest assessment. As such, I thought I'd try to dissect the section in question and see what's going on.

First some basics-

The piece is tonally centered around E and the mode we're dealing with is Locrian or some sort of blues scale. The point being that this scale contains a flat 5 scale degree.

Harmonically the mix mainly alternates between a Em7b5 and A(7).

Alright- so what's going on at 1:22:

Well, starting at 1:20 you have an E in the bass, D in the strings, while the melody comes down a scale from D to G (D C Bb A G). Nothing strange here, everything fits in the Em7b5 harmony (the C and A are pretty clear examples of passing tones)

Then at 1:22 the harmony switches to A7- the bass goes to A, the strings to C# and the melody plays E G A E

Every single note here falls within the A7 harmony.

2:49 is simply a repeat of the same thing.

So, while I respect Protricity's opinion, aesthically I don't hear any wrong notes, and theoretically I don't see any.

As such,

YES

I hear no off-notes.

Anyway, my problem with this mix is that it's stale from beginning to end. Lead never changes. Base progression remains the same. Drumloop repeats and does nothing new. The bass is cool, but it should be far more prominent for such an uppity song. The piano B section is fresh, but it's not enough. Frankly, if it weren't for the energy of the drums, I would find this a dull listen for the most part. Like jogging in place.

NO

Hmmm, well I posted this just a few minutes after I finished making it - a rash decision, seeing as an important part of the mastering process is to listen to the mix again and again. I'm gonna give this a no because after listening again, I realised that this isn't an evolution for me at all, it just ain't good enough! I should be submitting better stuff than this.

NO!

Edit: Thanks for the feedback guys!