how do I write music for Video Games?

Snethlage

Hello - this is my first post :)

I am in a little predicament. I write music for Videos and Promotional pieces, but nothing really for the web. I just got hired to write music for an online Video Game and I don't have the first clue on what I am doing.

I am to write sound effects and scores, but I do not know what format to do it in, bit rate - nothin.

I don't know where to even start.

It is going to be an online MMOG - so apparently it needs to have specific parameters.

thanks so much!

:-P

I'd say first you need to know the format that is compatible with the game they are creating (i.e. mp3, ogg, etc) as well as how much space you have to work with (to determine bitrate). The programmers should be able to provide this information to you.

Other considerations would be the style of music they're looking for (examples of similar styles are helpful) as well as the types of sound effects needed. Again, any examples of similar styles would help here.

I'd say first you need to know the format that is compatible with the game they are creating (i.e. mp3, ogg, etc) as well as how much space you have to work with (to determine bitrate). The programmers should be able to provide this information to you.

Other considerations would be the style of music they're looking for (examples of similar styles are helpful) as well as the types of sound effects needed. Again, any examples of similar styles would help here.

You said it best man. You need to talk with the people your writing the music for to get an idea as to what format, bitrate, etc.