OCR01107 - *YES* Mario Kart 64 'Frappe Cafe Vibe'

djpretzel

Good coffee house arrangement. Too bad MK64 sucks.

I always cringe when I hear emulated brass exposed to a great degree, and is the brass ever exposed here! I can't quibble too much over it, it may be tonally a bit nasal but it's not god awful. Cool vibe, many mature harmonies present. I didn't find the mastering noteworthy; there is some audible clipping during a few trumpet/tuba runs and the instruments tend to bleed into each other. Smart transitions and lead-ins. Sneaking in jingle bell before the end was clever.

Good arrangement, not so great soundset. YES

NICE CHORDS.

No, I'm kidding. I'm repulsed by the bass line in conjunction with the keyboards. The horns seem to have some great jazz chords, and the drums are ok. The bass is actually fine, it's just those keyboards that are bugging the hell out of me. Some of the chords are nice, but others just seem WAY too cluttered, even for standard jazz voicings. Not to mention the arpeggios seem messy. The second half seems much better than the first. I'd like to see it polished up a bit. I'm impressed with the structure of the horns along with the bass, and about 70% of the keyboard writing is ok. But the chords on the rest of the keyboard part seem, as I said, a bit off, like not-quite-ripe fruit. And it's enough to make me cringe and say:

NO

and I'd feel bad about that if I didn't think that everyone else was going to say yes anyway.

D

the bass does wierd things at 1:02. i see what dan is saying about the keyboards, and the playing is not standard jazz playing, but it really doesnt bother me. so HAH.

i really like the tension at the beginning of the second bar of the vamp that is caused by the bass playing the flat 9. much flavor.

in some ways the song is generic sounding, and the solo doesnt develop, but the song is groovy, it doesnt get too repetitive, and i like the jingle bells at the end.

YES