*NO* EarthBound 'He Is the Evil Power'

Liontamer

Hey guys,

Yet another one dug out of our archives. This one we think stays pretty true to the original with the additional flair the comes standard with our mixes. Hope you enjoy.

Love & Respect

= D

- theophany

Song ReMixed: Zelda: Earthbound - Giygas Stirs, Pokey Means Business!

ReMix Title: He is the Evil Power

ReMixer: Theophany

Real Names: Mike Grier, Jason Alexander Gallaty, Andrew Thompson, Sam Julien

Featuring: Jeremy Gautier (Guitar)

Email: theophanyremix@gmail.com

Forum UserID: 7553

--------------------------------------------------------------

http://snesmusic.org/v2/download.php?spcNow=mo2 - "Giygas Stirs" (mo2-130.spc) & "Pokey Means Business!" (mo2-129.spc)

Opening practically sounds like a direct sampling of "Giygas Stirs". :36 shifted over into "Pokey Means Business!" with some pretty simplistic textures with some Genesis style sounds. Not really getting much interpretation though. It basically followed the structure of Pokey until 1:46. More rock stuff at 2:02, but the lead guitar was way too far in the back, and the rest of the instrumentation was too flimsy.

2:38 moved over into another section of the theme, with some awkwardly used drumloops until 2:54. I liked the guitar work at 2:58, but again, the beats that accompanied it were flimsy. The parts that do invoke the source could use more interpretation, but it's the sparse, uncohesive textures that end up killing this. It shows its age. Hope we hear something new from you guys though.

NO

I thought there were too many ideas going on here, even for a disjointed song like Pokey. I guess it might work if the pieces were better connected, but this played like 20 measures written by different people all pieced together. It didn't have enough cohesiveness. It also played Pokey pretty straight for a lot of it, though it got more interpretative in the second half. The section that closed it out was pretty strong.

The textures were sparse, as Larry pointed out. Even in the final section which I liked a lot, the guitar floated above the other instruments. The backing parts needed to come up to round out the spectrum. Just compare the drums at 0:50 to this part - huge difference in volume. There were a number of parts like that where different mixing levels would have improved things.

With problems on both sides, I don't see this one being easily fixable. I encourage you guys to submit more though, this showed promise.

NO

• 3 weeks later...

My brown colleagues have basically mentioned it all before I got to the party so I'll keep it short. The arrangement is close to the source while feeling disjointed, especially texture-wise. There were some interpretation during the end of the mix but it wasn't strong enough to hold the whole thing together. Textures were flat and production left a lot to be desired, including the very limp rock section.

There were some highlights and I actually digged the groove in the first section a lot but this would need a lot of work to pass. Do submit some newer stuff though because I can hear you guys have got the chops needed to make something awesome down the line!

NO