Tetris for Brass Quintet

On this day (Jun. 6) in 1984, Alexey Pajitnov of the Dorodnicyn Computing Centre of the Academy of Science of the USSR in Moscow created a program just for the hell of it. He and his colleagues became addicted to it. This program would become world famous, be the subject of lawsuits-o-plenty, and an example of how government ownership of all creative work has a major downside.

Pajntnov called his creation Tetris. And Tetris (or a clone/variant of it) has since been ported to everything imaginable.

In honor of this historic day, I present a rough draft of an arrangement of the Russian Folk Song Korobeiniki ("The Peddler"). Or perhaps you know it as Music A from Tetris.

The song is actually about a man who sells stuff and has nothing to do with blocks.

It's just a quickie, about 2 mins long. Starts off slow and legato and builds, getting louder and faster until the end.

http://www.corneriasound.com/betamusic/lbtetris01.mp3

This is a rough draft. I may or may not finish it.

To me there is just not enough energy to really get what I want out of it. There is the nice slow legato build up. But the rest of the piece is one big build to the almost frantic sound at the end. I think the legato should immediately go to the more frantic sound giving you time to do something with it. Adding instruments 1sie 2sie makes for a very slow progression to the frantic pace that I feel you really want in this.

Also, if you're lengthening, you'll want a nice slow down to be able to build back up. You don't full panic mode in your first 2 minutes. You might be able to do something cool by getting to a point like at 1:31, and then bringing it back down.

These were my first thought while half fhit saced. Hope you get something out of it.

-G