*NO* Sonic the Hedgehog 2 'Metropolis Zone (Electrock Mix)'

Liontamer

I haven't submitted anything myself, even though I have a musician/producer's credit on the oil ocean WT-40 mix that I did with AE.

Ransom Rath (real name/remixer name)

ransomrath@gmail.com

www.ransomrath.com

www.planetskill.com

I don't have a user ID, because I tried to register my forum name and account (username ransomrath), to an email address that, to my surprise, had had the password changed for it without my knowing. So, I haven't been able to approve myself for the message boards.

Bummer. Anyways, here's my submission.

Sonic 2.

Metropolis Zone (electrock mix)

The makers of the Sonic 2 HD project contacted me about wanting the oil ocean I did with Alex (AE) for their game, even though it had vocals, and we recorded that song to perform at Magfest 05. They wanted the instrumental. I told them it wasn't up to me, but I'd talk to Rival about it. I haven't yet, and instead, I DID work on this, since it's my favorite song from Sonic 2. I was relatively proud of it, and I'm starting to work on more game mixes, so I figured I'd submit it to you guys!

Hope you enjoy!

and uhh... can someone approve my ransomrath username for the message board? I'd kinda like to be able to post.

Thanks!

Ransom Rath

----------------------------------------------------------------

http://project2612.org/download.php?id=37 - 12 "Metropolis Zone"

I thought "Oil Ocean (WT-40 Mix)" was a great example of how to keep the structure very similar, but alter the rhythm and feel with the original drum patterns, original lyrics, and an overall different feel compared to the source.

I definitely like the track, it's a great source tune, and it's nicely fleshed out and well-produced, but the overall structure was too close to the original without enough interpretation. Obviously it works really well for a project like Sonic 2 HD where it's basically keeping the original theme and souping it up with beefier sounds. But aside from some brief grace notes here and there (e.g. :17-:20, :59-1:02, 1:41-1:44), there wasn't much to make the arrangement stand out as interpretive compared to the original. I was waiting for more ideas to get added to the picture after the conservative first verse, but once you've heard the first :49 seconds, that was basically the layout of the arrangement, as it goes for a few more iterations with some subtle differences.

*Modifying the genre, chord progression, instrumentation, rhythms, dynamics, tempo, or overall composition of the source material

*Adding original solos, transitions, harmonies, counter-melodies, lyrics, or vocals to the source material

Those are basically the things we're looking for with the arrangement as mentioned in the submission standards. There was some of that, clearly, but definitely not enough for a pass. Having met Rath at MAGFest 5 and seeing him tear it up with PlanetSkill live, Rath could easily make something that could pass with no problem at all if he wanted to go that direction. So really it's just a case of whether making an alternate, more interpretive cut would be something he wanted to do. If not, there's no reason not to be happy with this; nothing wrong with this as a kickass cover. It just needs additional interpretation to get approved. If that's not in the cards, that's fine; looking forward to your next work!

NO (resubmit)

Larry covered it. Great-sounding track but too close to the original.

The only thing I might suggest on the production end is toning down the bass - the heaviness of the track is compelling but feels a little overkill. Maybe just a bit to get a more rounded sound. Sorry, dude - please sub us something more interpretative! I loved your Oil Ocean mix.

NO

• 2 weeks later...

Once again I'm late to the party. Everything's been covered but I'll re-hash the meat of it all. Track's pretty damn cool but it's basically a great cover. Production was overall good but a little bassy, could tone that down a bit and lift some of the high frequencies forward.

You've got the chops and you no doubt enjoy doing these awesome covers. No doubt in my mind you could make an awesome rocking arrangement too if you'd want that, I know I'd like to hear that. However, this track right here would need a lot more interpretation to pass.

NO