*NO* Tetris (NES) 'The Third Sea'

Liontamer

Hello OCRemix people -

remixer name: aselectbselect

userid: 28038

real names: Matt Lohkamp and Athena Wollin

email addresses: 'aselectbselect@mattlohkamp.com' forwards to both of us, so send any correspondence there.

crappy myspace page: http://myspace.com/aselectbselect

URL:

games: Tetris (NES)

track remixed: 'music - 3'

We both like video game music, and we wanted to get together and do some remixing, so we picked a tune that we hadn't heard anyone else do - that one song from Tetris which no one remember until you play it for them. We both like trace-type stuff, so it ended up going in that direction - and here we are. Enjoy!

- m a t t -

--------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.zophar.net/download_file/14758 - Track 5 ("Music - 3")

The sound choices were on the generic trance/electronic side for me, but I was overall cool with the interpretation here. I would have loved to have heard more of the theme explored. Beyond 1:54, I basically heard the same arrangement ideas, as far as interpreting the melody, for the rest of the piece. It ended up dragging as a result.

I just treated the direct sampling from 3:14 until the end as a bookend of the track, so I had no big problem with it. Explore the melodic interpretation with some more ideas and/or variation and I'd feel this was over the bear. Good stuff so far, Matt & Atehna.

NO (resubmit)

Mixing felt really odd to me. The melodic fast attack synths were very strong, the bass lacked bottom, percussion felt distant and there were no meat in the lower mids for like half the track. The sounds themselves were ok and some of the modulation (for example 0:41->) was pretty cool. However the reverb and panning/stereo imaging of the main synth hook made it feel distant and unfocused.

Arrangement felt a bit stiff using mainly the same parts for the entire track. Variation is key to making the arrangement work. Especially the melodic interpretation, like Larry said, could be fleshed out. Also the track as a whole lacks dynamic variation and feels like it's in one gear all the way to the sampled outro.

Overall I feel this needs more work in both areas. It's not a bad track but it needs some more TLC to go all the way.

NO(resubmit)

Yeah, nothing wrong with the club approach taken to the material here, but it does need more variation. There's a lot of repetition of ideas and a lot of the background parts play very simply. I agree with Larry that the sounds were also on the generic side, and using a lot of them makes the arrangement less interesting to listen to.

The mixing could also be improved. There was a lot of reverb here and it made the track sound distant. The leads were too loud and overpowered the rest of the track.

A decent start, but I couldn't help but feel like the track could do a lot more within the parameters you've set. Hopefully we've given you some ideas on how to improve it.

NO (resubmit)