* Game: Star Fox Adventures

* Name of individual song(s) arranged: "Options Menu," "Krazoa Palace Inside"

* Composer: David Wise

* System: Nintendo GameCube

* Year: 2002

* Developer: Rare

* Publisher: Nintendo

* Link to the original soundtrack:

* Commentary: There's not much to say about this one. I thought the music for the Options Menu in this game was one of the coolest songs in the entire soundtrack, which always interested me--there aren't many other games that have their own song just for pressing "start." I wanted to mess around with it a little bit, and this is what came up. Hope you like!

Cheers,

Ronak

----------------------------------------------------------------

Star Fox Adventures - "Options Menu" &

Opened up with percussion that basically sounded like the original, followed by some original writing on top of the original at :17, where the sequencing was way too mechanical, particularly for the lead until :52. Stiff, robotic-sounding sequencing has been the production downside to all of your submissions, Ronak; you've got to step it up.

The arrangement was pretty decent, even though the first half could have set a more different mood compared to the Options Menu music. You have to add realism and richness to your sounds to have the total package.

NO (resubmit)

A fine pairing of the two sources. The mood is the same, but the new leads add a lot and the song sounds of one piece. It's personalized and enjoyable.

This falls down in the execution, I'm afraid. The mixing is off, and a lot of the leads sound too far forward, too much in the listener's face. That got alleviated at 2:00, but there were still elements like the guitar that were too loud. Compare your song to the sources (or songs in a similar style) to get a better sense of where instrument levels should be. There's also a sense that the instruments don't share the same space until that 2:00 mark. Pretty much, I would use that section as your benchmark for how the song should, and don't stray too far outside of it. The sequencing on the guitar is completely unrealistic too, which really hampers this. Not saying it has to sound professional, but when you hear repeated notes that sound identical, it takes the listener out of the experience.

Sorry to get harsh, but this needs to be cleaned up in the production department. The arrangement is solid; just focus on the other half of the picture.

NO (resubmit)

Not much to say after Vinnie and Larry. All their points are valid. Arrangement is decent but execution is weighing it down. Instruments need to sound a bit fuller, sequenced guitar and flute sounds unrealistic and cluttered mixing. Overall this still needs more work, especially in the production area. Good start though!

NO(resubmit)