*NO* Final Fantasy 7 'Happy Trance Aerith Hardcore'

Liontamer

ReMixer name: Fabien Porée

E-mail adress: poutrelle@gmail.com

Userid: 28585

Name of game(s) arranged: Final Fantasy VII

Name of individual song(s) arranged: Aerith's Theme

Comments: I made back in 2007. I was listening to a lot of happy hardcore at the time and I thought this would be a fun thing to do. So, what the hell.

The 6.00MB limit is a little low for long submissions such as this; the sound quality suffered quite a bit but there's not much I can do about that, I encoded it the best I could.

----------------------------------------------------------------

http://tzone.org/~llin/psf/packs2/FF7_psf.rar - 319 "Aeris' Theme"

More melodic interpretation would have been great. Much of the first half sounded like a rather conservative happy hardcore adaptation with Aerith piano shoehorned in and not meshing with the other sounds (though the supporting instrumentation had a lot going on).

The change in the lead at 4:56 worked a bit better, though the original stuttered rhythms introduced at 5:16 were lame, IMO.

Honestly, as annoying as this genre is to me, I think something like this could ultimately click as long as the elements were properly balanced. The leads here always played second or third fiddle to the beats and other synths, so I'd like to see the balance adjusted.

The abrupt return to the source tune on piano at 6:59 ultimately led to some interesting arrangement of the theme, even if it was abrasive and sometimes undermined the melodiousness of the theme.

Completely not my thing, and definitely a weird patchwork of sounds, but it did have some stuff going for it. Something with more melodic interpretation, better balanced sounds and a couple of things added to better pad out the sparse soundscape would have a better shot at passing, IMO. See what else you can do to tweak this.

NO (resubmit)

The 6MB might be a bit low for long arrangements but you repeated a lot of ideas here. You could've fitted all your arrangement ideas in a 4 minute track for sure :)

Arrangement had some decent personalization going on but the main meat of the track was basically straight source with new bass+drum combo. This is what we shoot down coverish rock arrangements for and this is no difference. The real killer is that there's no melodic interpretation. I'm cool with using the same chords and similar backing but then you must at least do something with the melody. The final section had some decent original counter melodies I enjoyed but they were hard to make out with the melody.

Production also downplayed the melody, it's practically inaudible for big parts of the track. Maybe using something else than piano, something that fits better and is a little sharper. Overall the mixing is a bit unbalanced and many synths sound a bit flat and dull. Still, I thought the happy hardcore feel was captured and it does sound like something you could hear on a compilation CD or whatever.

Overall though, this needs more TLC before it can pass. The arrangement's dragging out and there's minimal personalization of the source. Production needs some additional clarity and above all, balance.

NO

I'm gonna agree with my fellow judges. While a fun arrangement that has a good deal of variation for 8 minutes, there are a numerous problems with this. Foremost, there's very little interpretation of the source. For the first few minutes, it is used unchanged with supporting drums and bass; for a couple minutes in the middle, it is completely original. There were parts that combined elements of the original with your own writing, but the part added 4:35 really didn't complement the piano part. The source also gets buried by the supporting work sometimes.

The production also had issues, namely the cramming of so many elements together. I think with some proper EQing and balancing, it could have worked, but there are points like 2:00 which just sound overstuffed.

I'm actually gonna recommend not resubmitting this one. It's an old piece for you, the sound quality does hurt a little bit as a result of the length, and there's just too many issues to deal with. Feel free to send us some newer stuff though, something more in the bounds of what we can take.

NO