*NO* Power Blade 'Still I Can Fly'

Liontamer

remixer name: OA

game: powerblade

song: sector 4

remix:

I worked on this when I wasn't getting any sleep because of my new baby doing baby things, like not letting me sleep. -_____-

Things were super stressful, but music has an awesome way of getting you through tough times. This source track is awesome, and I love how there are so many little cool sounding riffs packed into it; it really gives the opportunity to take a few of them out and let them shine. This is also the debut of my harpsichord sample!

Source breakdown:

0:00 - 0:05 chorus segment of the source

0:06 - 0:11 original riff

0:12 - 0:25 verse of the source

0:26 - 0:30 original riff

0:31 - 0:45 chorus of the source

0:46 - 0:55 verse response motif in the strings

0:56 - 1:06 original riff

1:07 - 1:25 tricked out counterpoint verse (my favorite part)

1:26 - 1:41 main melody in the strings

1:42 - 1:50 sliced notes from the melody, but nothing verbatim until 1:48

1:51 - 2:01 trying to be Sixto

2:02 - 2:42 solo section featuring the chord progression and melodic references in the low strings throughout

2:43 - 3:02 source motif in the guitar (0:15 - 0:17 in the source version)

3:03 - 3:05 big transition

3:06 - 3:22 chorus x2 with a chord change leading to the end!

-----------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.zophar.net/download_file/14477 - Track 76

The string articulations (rough with the fast note movements) and mixing (more important) need work to get this sounding its best. I thought the way the sounds were balanced obscured some details. Leads in some sections (e.g. :31) were buried and some elements seemed to occupy the same frequency ranges. Aside from the percussion, the track seemed to lack high end and sounded lo-fi and distant. "Holiday with Mia Fey" sounded a lot better balanced, so maybe this one's just a matter of coming at it with fresh ears.

That said, I was feeling the arrangement, although it came up a bit short on overt source usage for me. Breakdown:

:01-:05, :12-:25.75, :31.5-:45, :46-:47.5, :52-:53.75, 1:07-1:41, 1:48-1:51, 2:18-2:21, 2:25-2:26, 2:31-2:37, 2:38.75-2:40, 2:41.5-2:45, 2:48-2:50, 2:53-2.55, 2:58-3:00, 3:05-3:13

which was about 95.25 seconds of a 3:21-long mix, or 47.39% source usage.

So I'll say I'm enjoying it, but I need a little bit more source usage and some production TLC for the win. Sorry, bro.

NO (refine/resubmit)

A week on the job for OA and I already have to lay down the smack. This job sucks sometimes.

Let's start positive. Arrangement was very cool - energetic and bombastic. The prominent orchestral elements give this a unique character. Larry's breakdown looks correct, but I'm not sweating a few seconds. At 0:46 - 0:55 and 2:02-2:42, you've got the chord progression unchanged with some hints of the original to tie it together. That's cool by me, I'd count that. This sounds like Power Blade to me almost all the way through anyway, because of the chord connections.

Yeah production... it wasn't all the way there. :| Your song gets cluttered at times, and some of the string writing is hard to hear, especially when the guitar is playing. Harpsichord is barely audible a lot of the time, synth at 0:45 sounds really far forward. I think what Larry says is true, about some of the elements overlapping in frequency, and I too thought your previous mixes were better balanced and mixed, but that could be because there was less going on in those. The string articulations also sounded off when it got fast, and it was difficult to make out what notes were being played. Any of these issues on their own and I could overlook it, but together, it's too much to ignore.

Sorry, Andrew. I don't think this is that far off, but it needs more work. This is a tough song to mix with how much is going on and honestly, I'm not sure I would have done any better job. The problem with an ambitious mix is that needs a lot of work to make it all sound ok.

NO (resubmit)

I hate to shoot down a fellow judge but I must say I agree with the previous voters. This is a positively rocking track sprinkled with some fantastic ideas and performance. However the production is a bit unfocused, monophonic and the sounds are often bleeding into each other. The strings are a weak link articulation-wise, especially during faster passages like Larry pointed out. I also think the snare sounded very dry and lifeless.

Arrangement is a keeper but could definitely stand some more overt source usage. You're a great arranger so I'm pretty sure you could sprinkle the track with some more pieces of source, even in the background.

Overall the track IS awesome but I know you can do better than this. Fix up the stuff holding it back and post it on the panel yourself to get it over with :) Still love you though mayne.

NO(resubmit)