*NO* Unreal 'Ruins'

Liontamer

Contact Information

* Your ReMixer name: Vandora

* Your real name: Suneel Suresh

* Your email address: compressor@gmail.com

* Your website: www.vandoras-box.com www.myspace.com/vandorasboxx

* Your userid (number, not name) on our forums, found by viewing your forum profile: NA

Submission Information

* Name of game(s) arranged: Unreal

* Name of individual song(s) arranged: Ruins

* Additional information about game including composer, system, etc. (if it has not yet been added to the site)

Unreal PC game 1998. Everyone knows Unreal, if not then please dont be the judge. Original Composer: Alexander Brandon

* Link to the original soundtrack (if it is not one of the sound archives already available on the site)

My Remix:

Original: gameInstallDir\music\UTemple.umx

Or just run the game->press ~ to get console->type 'open ruins'

* Your own comments about the mix, for example the inspiration behind it, how it was made, etc.

The Unreal Crypt track is one of my fav tracks in the game.

I often listen to it every couple of months, despite it being created 13 years ago. The ambiance and feeling you get matches with the level 'ruins. So i decided to play around with some tunes and one thing lead to another. I did not use any mod data,midi info or samples from the umx file. Content is fresh. Elements recreated by simply listening and setting the notes by trial and error. The flute sound where difficult to reproduce and other world instruments, so had to make a compromise.

Time taken was a little over a week.

suneel

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Remember to give your arrangement an original name.

Unreal Original Soundtrack - (08) "Ruins"

I was scratching my head at :37, when the first seemingly off-key notes were there. That said, there was weird stuff at 1:11 that didn't sound melodious either. These were elements taken from the source, except now they didn't sound melodious, and the textures weren't totally cohesive. Better stuff at 1:43 once the groove was established.

Wasn't quite feeling the drums being more exposed at 1:43, but they did have an old school PC tracker soundtrack quality to them. The wind writing on top of the groove at 2:00 was certainly interesting, noting that all the melodic structure was from the source. The track coasted on the same percussion groove for too long with barely any variation (e.g. 2:00-4:00).

I ended up not feeling some of the sound choices for your leads, but can live with them. I'd say fix some of the odd notes in the beginning and throw in a little more dynamic contrast by varying up the groove from 2:00-4:00 and this would be pretty golden. I like the overall mood of the piece compared with the original, but the source, as subtle as the dynamic curve was, had more going on dynamically compared to this. I'm not saying go wild with changes, but just refine what's in place. Pretty solid stuff so far, Suneel; hope you tackle some more of the Unreal soundtrack as well!

NO (resubmit)

"Everyone knows Unreal, if not then please dont be the judge."

Harsh man, just harsh :)

I think the sounds chosen, all detuned, is making this track mighty unfocused. While I think they are interesting they can't carry the track alone like this. The core beat sounded a bit flimsy, the quality of the drum sounds questionable. Sound choices overall was certainly a bit strange but above that they sounded thin and the soundscape came off as empty.

Arrangement wasn't bad but I was missing variation. The beat+bass is quite repetitive and since there are not many other elements it ends up carrying the track and making it repetitive. Vary it up! Overall you had a lot of elements from the source straight up, you could definitely afford to write some additional melodic content to them. Original counter melodies or similar is always great and makes the arrangement WAY more interpretive.

Overall the track sounds barren both in terms of production and arrangement. Some additional production polish and variation/interpretation in the arrangement and this would be in better shape. Overall a good track though, shows promise, keep it up!

NO(resubmit)

I echo the previous comments about the arrangement being repetitive drum-wise and sounds being either low-quality (drums) or weird-sounding (some of the synth leads). In addition, the lead writing could be sequenced more realistically with some volume changes, and the ending is too abrupt. I like the mood, the structure, the new writing - there's a lot of good stuff in place. You just need to work more on a few aspects of this.

NO (resubmit)