*NO* Final Fantasy 7 'Oppressed People Big Band'

djpretzel

hi

i sent an email with a link to this a couple of months back, and haven't heard anything... i checked in the judges forum to see if it had been rejected, but couldnt find it, so im assuming you never got the email, so im sending it again.

title: Oppressed People Big Band (remix of oppressed people from ff7)

remixer: Lau

i like to think the people of the slums formed a band and decided to improve their standard of living through jazz ;-)

cheers

lau

Gah- this is tricky, certain sections work really well, but...

First of all, this particularly jazz band seems to be a bit down its luck and forced to take cave gigs. There's a ton of reverb here and it's inappropriate for the style.

The samples are well...not good. But then, it's not so bad since they sound like the FF7 instrument samples which is fitting I suppose.

The drums are nicely sequenced (or played) although they don't seem to be quite in sync with the other instruments- maybe that's just me.

The arrangement is pretty cool at times. Although, since you're emulating a live ensemble, I wish that more attention had been paid to sequencing- the brass chords in particular just sound too harsh and mechanical.

Not bad...doesn't wow me and there are some problems here I think...but...a tentative yes for now. I may come back to this one though.

EDIT: Yeah, unfortunately the sound quality/ sequencing really does bring this one down. Nice arrangement though.

NO

Okay. I dont think that I've ever heard a tuba play notes that fast. the flute also sounds a little too proficient, as to sound unnatural. There's no getting around the fact that the samples suck. GM, I presume? The reverb is too much. There is also clipping.

There is really nothing too terrible about the arrangement, but the mix sounds so incredibly akward and unnatural. It would have been better if at least one of the instruments was recorded live. At the very least, more attention must be paid to making the instrument parts feasable.

NO

This is excellent as far as the idea goes. So much creativity in this one. I wish I could pass this, but there's a lot of problems here as noted by other judges. There's also a lot of clipping that starts at 1:50. Also I suggest making the flute more upfront in the mix. Take note of the other judges' recommendations. I'd love to pass this, when it's a bit more polished. Please work on this one more.

NO