old school organ sound

A lot of the great rock organ players from the 60s and 70s who used distorted sounds would often get them by playing through guitar amps; I don't know of anyone who actively used pedals for that. I get a good distorted organ sound out of my Nord Stage by using the built-in Fender Twin amp sim with a fair bit of gain, plus some of the gain from the Leslie speaker. In terms of those two plugins, play with the overdrive section and if you need to, warm up the sound with a guitar amp plugin, maybe something from SimuAnalog.

I have NI B4 and frankly it sucks quite a bit. None of the organs sound very good and its pretty buggy.

Now, on topic, I want to find an organ that gives me that awesome, prog cutting lead. I kind have one, but its better for layering than leads.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vDO7r2kYlnM

- starting at 1:08

What kind of settings do I need or what should I look for?

I've used NI B4-II and was quite happy with it, although I didn't like all the presets. I had no troubles with it though.

For leads, going with a Keith Emerson sound never fails. Use Vibrato on C1, upper drawbars set to 888000000, percussion is On/Soft/Fast/Third, rotor speed set to *stop* (or turned off; you don't want the slight swirl that comes with the speed on low here). Use a bit of drive, not enough to really distort the notes but enough to bring them out. You'll end up with something similar to 5:34 of this - actually, these settings nail their studio version of Hoedown right on.