Need help with time stretching

This is my main question: Is there anyway to accurately change the tempo of a sample to whatever you like. For example when using Fl Studio, you can simple drag the sample to stretch it or shrink it but you still won't be able to figure it out unless you use some bpm analyzer. Is there a way to shrink and stretch and know exactly what the resulting tempo is gonna be? Or with Audition there's a slider where it'll show the percentage of the ending tempo and the slider will say faster or slower depending where you take the slider. Maybe this doesn't make any sense but hopefully it does and someone can help me.

Damn, that is brilliant, thank you! I gots another question though. What kind of bpm analyzer do you guys recommend? I use winbpm but for some reason I can not get the beat right for the Rick Astley song, "Never gonna give you up" song. Either I'm gettin it right and it's off at some points or I just suck camel dong -_-.

I map everything with either my ProTools Beatmapper or my Sony ACID Beatmapper... I've found that once you've ACID'ized a WAV or loop the meta data is pretty much recognized by every DAW. At least the ones I use; Garage Band, Logic, ProTools, Peak, ACID, Sound Forge, Cubase, FL (just started).

I map everything with either my ProTools Beatmapper or my Sony ACID Beatmapper... I've found that once you've ACID'ized a WAV or loop the meta data is pretty much recognized by every DAW. At least the ones I use; Garage Band, Logic, ProTools, Peak, ACID, Sound Forge, Cubase, FL (just started).

I'm not quite sure what you mean.

I'm not quite sure what you mean.

Inside those programs (ACID & ProTools) they have built in beat mappers. All I was saying is I use both of those programs beat mapper apps to do my beat mapping, one for the PC side of my MAC and one for the OSX side of my MAC.

I was also saying that whenever I ran my loop(s) through the ACID beat mapper (starting from ACID ver3.0 on) the "loop data" would be understood by all my other DAW applications so they would know the beats in the loop as well. When I worked with DJ Origin we always called it ACID'izing your loops.

Another thing, the ProTools beat mapper is pretty sweet because it will chop up the region for you by count if need be. Totally awesome for waveform editing drums.