OCR01947 - *YES* Super Mario 64 'Big-Band Battlefield'

Palpable

The artist should be considered The University of Toronto 10 O'Clock Big Band, but The Runaway Five will get an associated credit since several members were involved - LT

Contact Information:

ReMixer name (band name): The Runaway Five

Real Name (band members): Brendan McElroy, Brendan Swanson, Alex Goodman, Matt MacLean, Brent Mah, Spencer Cheyne

Submission Information:

Game: Super Mario 64

Song: Bob-Omb Battlefield

Remix Title: Big-Band Battlefield

Additional comments: Arranged by: Brendan McEroy (April 2009). Performed by: the University of Toronto 10 O'Clock Big Band: DIRECTED BY: Terry Promane, Rhythm Section - Brendan McElroy (Bass), Tyson Kerr (Piano), Mack Longpre (Drums), Alex Goodman (Guitar), Trumpets - Matt MacLean, Ryan Brower, Jesse Malone, Marie Gaudy, Trombones - Steve Ward, Robin Jessome, Aidan Sibley, Josh Bird, Saxophones - Taylor Cook (Alto), Brendan Cassidy (Alto), Rob Christian (Tenor), Dave Rubel (Tenor), Anthony Rindaldi (Baritone).

This is the only recording I have of this arrangement and it may have some clipping, etc. It's a pretty decent recording for a handheld recorder so hopefully it suffices. Also, there was some quality loss as I tried to make it fit the size req for submissions. The past few submissions have been denied based on a limited amount of source track present. Hopefully this fits the req. It's a little hard to recognize but the intro is straight from the source track as well (the second half of the melody). I also added a shout chorus featuring a bunch of other Mario melodies. I hope you all like it! A four horn arrangement of this piece can be found on our myspace as well!

Brendan McElroy

The Runaway Five

www.therunawayfive.com

www.myspace.com/therunawayfive2

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.zophar.net/download_file/12246 - (05) "Super Mario 64 Main Theme"

Very close to direct posting this one, but figured depending on how you count it, it could be just under 50%. Here's my breakdown:

0:00-1:40 - melodies and chords

1:45-2:25 - chords

2:27-2:47 - original chords (not counting this)

2:47-3:22 - chords

4:35-4:38 - ref

4:40-4:41 - ref

4:44-4:46 - ref

4:51-5:04 - ref (counting the silence - it's part of the song!)

5:08-6:28 - melodies and chords

Just counting the first and last sections and the references puts this at 199 seconds / 389 seconds (chopping off the last 5 seconds of silence) = 51.2%. Giving them credit for the chords puts it well over the line.

I loved the job they did with this and it's my favorite Runaway Five piece yet. The key changes in the B-section were risky but interesting, and the laidback bar atmosphere of the recording adds mucho charm. Gotta love the guy ordering something halfway through the song. Awesome work, you all!

YES

• 2 weeks later...

I I think this is really charming. The atmosphere is great, and for a handheld recorder there is a nostalgic, warm sound to everything. Arrangementwise, there is enough dominant source, and plenty of interpretation. Some nice solos (your bari player is a monster), and everything clicks. The drum solo was a little bit self-indulgent, but I can dig it.

Overall nice work by everyone, this is great. :-)

yes

This is a very clever arrangement. Some very nice work done on the rhythm of the melody and the dabs of new harmony fit nicely. Nothin' wrong with a bit of self indulgence in jazz. Also enjoyed the inclusion of the underworld theme.

The recording quality including the random dudes talking just add to the charm of a big band, it feels like you're there watching it there in a small cosy club. Nice stuff all around and look forward to more subs from you guys.

1-UP