Your ReMixer name - AMT

Your real name - Austin Thresher

Your website - None

Your userid - 9241

Submission Information

Name of game(s) arranged - Megaman Zero 2

Name of individual song(s) arranged - Intro Stage, Neo Arcadia

Song Title - Moving Forward

This is a remix of the opening stage of Megaman Zero 2. Not much to say, I worked on this for a while and I'm pretty happy with how it came out, so I figured I'd submit it. Guitars / bass are real, I had fun recording them. Thanks for taking the time to listen!

• 1 month later...

Track is called "Moving Forward", which it's certainly not at this point, and we need to address this quickly, guys.

Here's a bit of a breakdowns.

0:00 - 0:14 intro obviously references 0:25 of Source (Intro Stage Music)

0:15 - 1:05 is the main melody of (Intro Stage Music) starting around 0:38 and going until about 1:18ish.

1:06 - 1:18 mm, I'm not sure I could tell what it was referencing so I guess it's all original.

1:19 - 1:31 I THINK was a variation of the main melody from the same source.

1:32 - 1:44 is back to the same riff as the first 14 seconds.

1:45 - 2:09 pretty clearly references the Neo Arcadia stage source

2:10 onward goes back to the same backing progression he used from :15 - 1:05, but he changed it from the original and there's no lead this time, so I'm not sure that we can count that as viable source arrangement since the melody was the connector before.

Alright, there it is. Do what you want with that guys, but make it quick. Let's keep the line moving!

Ok then. First off, thanks for the Submission Austin. This is definitely not a bad track. Here's some specific feedback.

The number one thing that jumped out at me is the volume. It's probably just a bit louder than it should be, and there was quite a bit of clipping going on, so it might not hurt to turn your master volume down just a bit and maybe throw a limiter on there as well just in case you go over just a little. You don't want to JUST throw a limiter on there without turning down the volume, because then it's just going to over-compress your track, and while that might get rid of clipping, it won't sound very good. But anyway, I do think the overall audio quality took a hit because of the clipping. Easy fix.

I really don't mind the setup here at all--I'm talking about the instrumentation, and even the general EQ for the most part. It's kind of meant to be a loud, in-your-face, thrashing remix, and I can appreciate that. I enjoyed the dirty textures and feel for the most part. I thought the filtered bit at 1:05 was especially awesome. That being said, it does need a little bit of touching up on the EQ and mixing in a couple places--the main one being that middle section from 1:18 - 1:32ish. The mix got reeeeally muddy there, and I couldn't really make out the melody very well, and all the instruments just started fighting for space and things just sounded very jumbled there. And then again the very last leg of the mix (like 2:22 until the end) just had too much going on. All that coupled with the loudness issue definitely brought the quality down noticeably. So if you could touch those up, that would definitely improve the overall quality of the track substantially. And that's not to say the track is bad or anything, I really enjoyed it.

Just clean up the production, make it quieter (well, enough that it doesn't clip anyway), and it might not hurt to maybe revisit the main melody on that last segment under the vocals, just to solidify the connection between your remix and the original tune, I think you'd have a good shot here. Good luck, hope to hear you make some fixes and resubmit this one.

NO - RESUB

lead guitar tone isn't really super awesome- it's a bit brittle and needs to be smoothed out - not terrible by any means, but it sticks out a little too much.

The rhythm guitars sound pretty meaty, and mesh well with the bass.

The production seemed a bit slammed, and loud; I think just a little extra practice getting the levels to sit right while maintaining power and balance will get you to where you need to be. Things all seem a bit dry right now, and front-loaded so some judicious use of reverb and panning should carve out some extra room for you without having to resort to massive compression. Jimmy Jam has the right idea about some very minor EQ, but I think giving different items more space throughout would assist as well.

some pretty great screaming - you've got a monster set of lungs here, totally awesome work here, I don't completely think the track supported the intensity of your initial scream at that moment, but it sure did later on at the end. I think weaving more apparent source into that section would be killer.

The arrangement is good, but needs just a little more dominant source.

This is good stuff, but not quite there.

no, please resub

I didn't vote on this upfront because I was ambivalent. I really like the arrangement and with Jimmy's helpful breakdown this seems fine enough to meet our dominant source usage criteria. More than half the song uses the source, and even the screamy part uses the chords from the source.

The production has issues and the other judges have laid them out pretty well. The low-end in particular sounds pretty stuffed, and while I sort of dig the messiness, you could clean it up some without wrecking the concept. Here's hoping for a resubmit from you, this is good stuff.

NO (resubmit)