Homeworld Cataclysm - Menu Song

ElNachato23

Raw drum sounds that go on on their own for way too long. Organ+detuned saw isn't really a combination I'd expect, or even find particularly successful. Replacing the organ with a more synthetic sound could probably make the sound design a bit more coherent.

I used to mix stuff very low-heavy, still find myself doing so. Not a good idea. You can get it louder with less effort by utilizing the higher frequency range more. The speed of your repetitive beat doesn't agree wit that of the quick synth. btw, repetition is a problem when there's too much of it, like in this track.

I was tired of it before it had even started, half way through I phased out, and then I was just hoping it'd end. There's not enough going on for the arrangement to be interesting, and there's not interesting enough sound design for it to stand on just that. Mixing is, low-end-ness aside ok, you've got other problems.

The source has got the sound design down so it can rely on atmosphere rather than arrangement, but it still has a lot of interesting changes going on under the beat. I prefer the lo-fi rip on youtube over your remix for the reasons mentioned above. What are you doing wrong? Do it differently.

I know this isn't a very positive critique. Make your arrangement more interesting, there's a lot you can draw from the source; make the sound design and soundscaping more interesting, and vary the drums more... and process them so they sound a little richer and more impactful.

That should be critique and suggestions enough. Learn from other ppl's remixes posted the past few years, learn from high-quality mixed/arranged music. Listen and compare, you don't get awesome in a day. ;)