*NO* Sonic & Knuckles 'Lava Cold'

Palpable

Reixer Name : Bak.R

Name of the game : Sonic and Knukles

Name of the song arranged : Lava Reef

This is a calm version of lava reef, a few of african inspiration and sweet.

But modern too, with guitard and string.

I was inspired by, the calm songs, the nature and savane. ^^

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://project2612.org/download.php?id=61 - "Lava Reef Zone (Act 1)"

Starts off promisingly, but there were a couple things that held this back. The synth that enters at 0:25 broke the gentle mood for me, it has kind of a comical, old-school sound. I also thought the soundscape could have been more filled out and the volume increased. 1:50 was an excellent moment where everything came together and I think that's the level of filled out you want to shoot for in more places. Drums also sounded sort of disconnected, might want to play with reverb and volume on those.

I'd love to hear another version of this if you're willing to go back to the drawing board, Bak.

NO (resubmit)

So I really like the laid back, ambient, mellow kind of approach. I thought there were some really beautiful parts in this remix. I especially liked when the guitar and strings were layered together at ~1:50, and the subtle fx hits here and there.

Though it's a bit short, I'm cool with the arrangement. The ultimate flaws to this mix are that the mix is very thin--there's no bottom end to speak of at all, and it's way too quiet. You've got a lot of unused headroom. Not that this needs to be like LOOOOUD, but you definitely could have boosted the master volume.

Drums could stand to be a little more interesting, and mixed a little louder as well. It wasn't the dealbreaker, but some of the short synth presets seemed a bit out of place.

Cool take on this theme though, wouldn't mind if you resubmitted this one.

NO

BGC and I listened to this together in IRC, so we are kindof in agreement with a lot of it.

I definitely like the concept, but it starts out a little thin in the soundfield. Maybe add a really subtle pad to fill out the somewhat empty lowend. Once the drums come in, the sound is better, but the partwriting for them seems a little unfocused. I can dig a more textural approach, but adding some accents would really help it drive the track.

The guitar is a really nice synth- i don't hear a guitar synth sound that good that often; I wish i could get a tone that even on my actual guitar. :-)

The runs are a bit mechanical, but the tone is great, and the additional melodic parts are sweet.

Overall, the arrangement i'm cool with; it has some nice subtle changes, and the feel of the track is really nice. Once the track fills out, it's really pleasant, but it takes awhile to get the that point.

i think with some production tweaks it'd be an easy in. :-)

The only part i think that needs revision is the drums, but the mix needs more balancing and filling out, specifically the lowend, and that headroom needs to be reduced.

no, resub