*NO* Silent Hill 2 'A Long Walk Down a Short Hallway'

Palpable

Contact Information

Your ReMixer name: IANLY

Your real name: Jason Barrios

(I do not have a forum account on OCRemix)

Submission Information

Name of game(s) arranged: Silent Hill 2

Name of individual song(s) arranged: "Promise [Reprise]"

Where do I begin...well basically I loved the Silent hill series and the music behind it as I'm sure most gamers do. This song was always my personal favorite song out of all the sound tracks so I figured I'd remix it. I guess this version sounds some what 'seductive' in nature, yet still keeps an eerie tone about it...I honestly don't know what to say about it other than it's a very different spin from the original piece. If it is a good spin or bad spin well...that's for you guys to decide.

I actually had no plans to submit this here but a friend convinced me I should at least try...so...enjoy..

(hopefully)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I waffled whether to put this on the panel or form letter it, but I think the mood and the general approach is pretty good, and the remix shows some... promise.

The issues are that the usage of the riff from Promise gets really overused by the end of this, and there's a lot of copy and paste going on with some of your patterns. It wears by the end. The mixing is also off, the soundscape never feels filled out. Even songs that are ambient should be more rounded. Some of the instruments are up close, others are distant (and the distant drums were a peculiar choice). These are sizable issues that would need addressing in a future version of this.

NO (resubmit)

I agree with Vinnie on the repetition aspects; it's a well-chosen source that just gets a little overplayed. Some additional details added and changed up would make this feel fresh a lot longer.

Production was decent but could use some of the smoothing out that was previously mentioned. Drums should come forward a bit, and a few synths should go back.

A pretty good start, and with some additional work and a little less cut and paste, this could do pretty well.

no

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Jason, thanks for the submission. Definitely not a bad start. It's beginner/novice's work sure, but Palpable is right in that is has some promise. I think with a little practice and some time in the WIP forums, you could be cranking out some pretty solid submissions.

I thought the arrangement was decent, if perhaps a bit long. I think it should have probably started wrapping itself up and tried to finish somewhere between 3 1/2 - 4 minutes. That would have given it some good time to groove out for a bit without becoming too repetitive.

The production also needs some work, that's really just something that comes with practice and experience, but you'll get there, and that's where soliciting feedback from WIP forums etc will come in handy. Find articles and tutorials as well and learn what you can to help you fill out the sound field without things becoming muddy, thin, or cluttered. Also, do your best to create your own beats and rhythms etc. It's perfectly fine to use loops, but I find they're best to use as a supplement or base to your work, not as a featured part. In this case, the drums and kick scratch are all from the old FL loop library or sampled from one of the demo songs. I mean, that's fine man, but try to add your own flavor in there too. It takes more work, sure, but the result is always worth it.

I did enjoy the submission, keep at it!

NO