Dead Beat - Castlevania 3

Luzeke

I picked up Castlevania 3 again and got to the stage with the song "Dead Beat". I haven't heard that song much since I usually take the other route through the clocktower instead (and I don't know if the song appears elsewhere. I never get far).

Anyway, I heard the song and wanted to do something with it. I'm not sure what to do about the ending, right now it mostly just kind of stops.

Feedback is appreciated.

http://www.box.net/shared/qbom3669go

dead beat is played on the Alucard path, which you can still get to after the clock tower :D It is a much longer and harder route, and Alucard isn't nearly as strong as Syfa, but it does have a few, imo, better tracks in the game.

Your string lead (violin?) has a long attack, and when exposed as in the beginning sounds unconvincing. You can try to tweak it, or you should be able to find a better free sample. Cadenza or Campbell strings? Or, maybe more ideally, the squidfont pack has several samples of strings available - I haven't messed with it much yet but it might yield better results.

And you've got quite a lot of reverb going on on that string. It would probably be less noticeable if the attack weren't so long.

Concerning the writing.. try stuff, lol. Or think of an emotion or something you want to convey.

The string lead was a cello sample actually. I've replaced it with a fiddle sample instead, but in hindsight I don't think it was a good choice, it sounds pretty artificial, which I usually don't have a problem with but this time I dunno. I'm gonna play around some more with it, maybe even using something other than a string for it instead. But first I'll try to tweak the notes to upstrokes and downstrokes (or whatever you call it), rather than just one sort of stroke.

I have made some changes to the other sounds as well. I replaced my pizzicato sample with another one which, to me, sounds much better. Added an additional set of drums which come in at 1:36 (I also keep them going over the previously single piano part).

http://www.box.net/shared/pqysxtcntq

Still haven't come up with a good ending, but it'll come eventually. I'm a little concerned that it might be a bit repetitve. Is it?

Again, feedback is muchly appreciated.