Submitted: Streets of Rage - Twilight Groove (now with music video)

DjMystix

It's been 4 years since I last composed anything. This is my first attempt at hip-hop genre and I could really use some help.

I'm remixing stage 4 from Streets of Rage (Sega Genesis). Here's what I've created in 3 hours. I'm not sure if I'm going in the right direction.

edit: link to finished version

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3443029/My%20Remixes/Streets%20of%20Rage%20-%20Twilight%20Groove.mp3

Can anyone listen to it and point out odd stuff and also give some suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Last part of this track is in very very early stages (repeating drum pattern and lack of bass).

Hey Mansoor:

Hopefully this helps:

I like this! It's less hip hop and more chillout though. I'd like the piano, strings and all the non-drum instruments to be dirtied up a bit myself. It sounds a little too clean and not really "street". YOu just wanna warm up those sounds with compressors and warmers so they fall into the mix a bit more. Right now they sound a little too "keyboard preset".

Your drums are sitting well, I might put some slight reverb on the snaps and claps that come through from time to time. As for the arrangement of the drums, I'd go for a more "aural" feel. Less mechanical, like as if they were being played by a human. I might make the kick a bit louder, but it depends on what you want. Some people want the kick to come through the kick really well, some people want it to pillow the mix...

Hope that helps, it's not a bad start. I think the piano line could turn into a bit of a solo... it sounds like it should go there from what you are doing!

Doni,

Thanks a lot mate! I was completely lost yesterday, probably burnt out. I also want to change the piano. I'll look for some other samples and plugin to strengthen the track.

I've cleaned up the track a lot since yesterday. more stuff added as well. I'm going to complete the track and then replace samples/riffs later.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3443029/My%20Remixes/WIP%20-%20Beat%20of%20Streets.mp3

Link to original track:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3443029/Yuzo%20Koshiro%20-%20Streets%20of%20Rage%20-%20stage%204.mp3

Here's the near finished version of my remix:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3443029/My%20Remixes/Streets%20of%20Rage%20-%20Twilight%20Groove.mp3

I realized that it isn't going all hip-hop so I tried to do a light hip-hop groove version. As usual with my remixes, I extended the original track with some of my original writings towards the end. Stuff that I still need to do is

- re-record acoustic guitar and piano/string section

- Adjust volume levels

- cleanup rough edges.

So what do you guys think? Any good?

@Doni:

No I don't mind at all. At least it tells me that you liked my song enough to be bothered to re-adjust it ;)

OK I understand your point. I usually listen to my tunes on different audio setups and some of them already have the compression settings you did. Playing your mastered version on those systems results in bad sound.

However, I agree that raising frequencies made the song more "street" like. I'll try to apply that to my project once I get home and see how it sounds.

Other than that, do you think it is submission-ready?

@doni

Just listened again on a "proper" setup and I liked it. I think it need to lower down a bit but definitely needs this. Thanks! I'll update my track.

Well, what's a proper setup? I always want my tracks to come through nice on a flat EQ. Testing out tracks on a juiced setup isn't really the best idea. Actually a juiced setup with extra EQ's is really only for listening to old music I'd say.

All I did to your track was run the mix through a mastering tool called Ozone Izotope 3. This tool is magic once you learn how to use it

Well, what's a proper setup? I always want my tracks to come through nice on a flat EQ. Testing out tracks on a juiced setup isn't really the best idea. Actually a juiced setup with extra EQ's is really only for listening to old music I'd say.

All I did to your track was run the mix through a mastering tool called Ozone Izotope 3. This tool is magic once you learn how to use it

I meant "office headphones" lol. I love what you did to my tune and thanks a ton for telling me about the tool. Definitely not submitting without this.

the little synth feature about halfway through is sexy. loving the guitar bit at the end as well.

can't comment on the production as i'm not on the most reliable of speakers, but the arrangement is strong and undeniably groovy. i suspect the j's might have issue with some of the more unrealistic samples (brass, piano, strings); i could see this decision going either way. even if it's not up to OCR standards yet, it's quite close.

good work, and best of luck on the panel :nicework:

the little synth feature about halfway through is sexy. loving the guitar bit at the end as well.

can't comment on the production as i'm not on the most reliable of speakers, but the arrangement is strong and undeniably groovy. i suspect the j's might have issue with some of the more unrealistic samples (brass, piano, strings); i could see this decision going either way. even if it's not up to OCR standards yet, it's quite close.

good work, and best of luck on the panel :nicework:

Thanks a lot for the encouragement. If you ask me, I really don't want to change the strings and piano even if they don't sound realistic. I am a huge fan of MJ and always try to go his way of doing things unconventionally (although I'm not even 0.000001% close to the greatness his music is).

Hey yo

Sorry for the late reply. I've got a few more ideas on your mix:

1. I'd like the street sounds to kind of incorporate into the backspin scratch... it might sound a bit more natural

2. the piano sounds nice, but it sounds way more pronounced and "above" the mix than all your other lead sounds. For me it still doesn't sit inside your mix as well as it could

3. The snare that you bring in jsut after the piano comes in makes me feel strange. It's too powerful and for me its not a good match for the groves of the song

4. I really like the guitar, but it comes about a bit too abruptly. I'm not sure how I would bring this in differently, but it warrants a bit of experimentation

5. I like the ending, maybe I'm being picky, but I think if you dragged out a more full sound instead of just the one synth note it would sound better. Also I would drag it out for longer, at least twice as long.

Hope that makes sense. You're close, and overall I really like it. And to be honest I don't like much of anything I hear, not just on this forum, but in the world of music in general

Hey yo

Sorry for the late reply. I've got a few more ideas on your mix:

1. I'd like the street sounds to kind of incorporate into the backspin scratch... it might sound a bit more natural

2. the piano sounds nice, but it sounds way more pronounced and "above" the mix than all your other lead sounds. For me it still doesn't sit inside your mix as well as it could

3. The snare that you bring in jsut after the piano comes in makes me feel strange. It's too powerful and for me its not a good match for the groves of the song

4. I really like the guitar, but it comes about a bit too abruptly. I'm not sure how I would bring this in differently, but it warrants a bit of experimentation

5. I like the ending, maybe I'm being picky, but I think if you dragged out a more full sound instead of just the one synth note it would sound better. Also I would drag it out for longer, at least twice as long.

Hope that makes sense. You're close, and overall I really like it. And to be honest I don't like much of anything I hear, not just on this forum, but in the world of music in general

Doni man!! I've already submitted this :( But anyway, I'd go through this one more time, just in case.

I was also thinking of lowering down the piano's levels a bit and make it fit in the background instead of standing out loud. As for the snare, I could replace that fairly easily. What do you think about the snare that I used during the guitar bit? I originally wrote this guitar lead about 10 years ago and thought that it'd sound good in a groovy track. I'm not sure if I can do it in another way.

Thank you for your comments on this. More than getting my remix accepted at OCR, I value these comments because it greatly helps me in improving myself.

Current version (the one that's submitted):

MP3: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3443029/My%20Remixes/Streets%20of%20Rage%20-%20Twilight%20Groove%20M.mp3

Love the soundtrack to SOR and SOR2. This is a great source tune.

I think the remix is going to have a hard time passing the panel. The decisions will definitely say that drum sequencing is simple and repetitive, drum samples are not great, piano samples sound fake, sequencing is a little robotic, beatbox samples might also come under fire. What makes this mix interesting is the addition of the acoustic guitar. However, all in all, this source was remixed in a similar style by mv (Sensual Ippon). And his mix was a little bit more polished.

This is an enjoyable mix, something I would listen to, but not something that will end up on OCR.

Yes, that other snare sounds much better. I'd put that one in throughout the mix and change the snare arrangement in favor of just putting in a different snare

The guitar licks are great, there's just something about how they are introduced that seems a bit off to me

keep at it, even though its already submitted, you could hope for a resub request!

Love the soundtrack to SOR and SOR2. This is a great source tune.

I think the remix is going to have a hard time passing the panel. The decisions will definitely say that drum sequencing is simple and repetitive, drum samples are not great, piano samples sound fake, sequencing is a little robotic, beatbox samples might also come under fire. What makes this mix interesting is the addition of the acoustic guitar. However, all in all, this source was remixed in a similar style by mv (Sensual Ippon). And his mix was a little bit more polished.

This is an enjoyable mix, something I would listen to, but not something that will end up on OCR.

woah! where were you when I needed you? :) Anyway, Definitely going to change drum samples and will experiment with piano as well. I've noticed that it is easier to get your remix accepted if you use phasered synths as leads. I've just listened to mv's track again (last time I heard it was eons ago) and yeah, it feels like he and I was thinking of taking the same route. His track is great and different from usual OCR stuff.

Many thanks for your comments!

Yes, that other snare sounds much better. I'd put that one in throughout the mix and change the snare arrangement in favor of just putting in a different snare

The guitar licks are great, there's just something about how they are introduced that seems a bit off to me

keep at it, even though its already submitted, you could hope for a resub request!

I'm going to ask Larry if it is still possible to replace my submitted remix.

As soon as I get back home, I'll replace the snares and I'll also try to replace piano lead with something else and see if it works. Honestly, I don't know what to do with the guitar intro. I like it but may be because I know it's coming up. I also wanted to change brass sample as someone suggested earlier.

Thank you for taking so much interest in getting my track on track! Looking forward to learning more from you guys.

EDIT:

Freakin business trip. Check back after a couple of days for updated version.