*NO* Terranigma 'Fate, Stood In My Way'

Palpable

Hi there!

Please accept this, my first submission to OCReMix. I've been a fan and keen listener for a couple of years and I usually compose original material (see my myspace below) however I started playing around with the 'ressurection' theme from Terranigma and this is the result of my meddling!

My submission details are as follows:

Game: Terranigma

Song: Ressurection

Growing up my favourite games (like many of us) were always the SNES RPG's from Square and Enix and I loved Terranigma because its real time combat system was a welcome break from some of the turn based games such as Chrono Trigger (which here in the UK I had to get on import!) and Final Fantasy III.

One of my favourite sequences in Terranigma was near the beginning of the game was when you had to ressurect the continents before you could travel to the surface of earth and I was particularly in awe of the short but sweet piece of music that accompanied this. Despite this I found this piece of music to be dissapointingly short and so one day whilst playing around with the basic chords of this simple tune of the piano I began to hear other parts forming in my head.

The original is based around an arpeggio of four chords, using these chords I gradually began to build up layers of guitar, bass, synths and drums until the song crescendos into the original piece... with some added rock guitar action of course. I composed this piece using Sonar, Truepianos, Analog Factory for the synths and Amplitube 2 made the guitars sound good. It is completed composed, mixed and mastered by myself.

Enjoy!

Matt Curtis

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://snesmusic.org/v2/download.php?spcNow=ts - 09 "Open the Door"

There is a lot of cool stuff going on in this song, there are also some sizable issues. First is that I wouldn't really call this a remix of the song you chose. Too much is based upon just the chords, only near the end do the arpeggios come into it. This has tended to be a contentious issue among the judges, so we'll see how others feel. The second issue is that this doesn't have that much direction. I would have liked there to be more of a lead, it felt a little like a backing track. The third issue is that the mixing gets really crowded towards the end, and could be cleared up at various points throughout as well. One smaller issue is that the chords clashed with the parts at a few points.

You seem to have the arrangement and production chops to make something really badass, so I hope you send us more stuff in the future.

NO

Gah, why do people always try to remix this theme? Out of all the stellar music that this game has to offer, this isn't even one of the coolest tracks. I mean, it's a catchy riff, but it's just not really one that lends itself well to remixing as a stand alone piece.

Vinnie's right, this is a really cool track, but I'm afraid it's just not going to sit in line well with our guidelines. The original song is basically just a 6-5-4-5-6 chord progression arpeggiated with some 7ths here and there (or 1-7-5-7-1 if you prefer to think of the song in a minor key). The only place that was really prominent in your mix was after about 4:03. And while it was pretty rockin', the prior 4 minutes may as well have been entirely original.

Definitely an awesome track, and it could probably use some vocals in there at some point and I'd call this one a success. But unfortunately, it feels more like the "Open the Door" theme is a cameo, and not actually what the song is rearranging.

:(

This is definitely a great song, nice soundscape, good production, and cool textures. However, It really does feel like the source track only has a small part of the proceedings, and it's partly that the source itself is mostly chords, and partly that you added so much beyond.

I really like it, but I gotta give it a no. I'd love to hear another attempt by you though, your music is great. :-)