Another question regarding midi out

Ok I'm tryin to get back into using FL Studio. And I'm challenging myself by making my first comeback song, a remix, using Reason in conjunction with FL Studio. My question is when using the midi out channels to use Reason sounds, why isn't there an FX option to route the midi through one of the channels in the mixer? Is that not possible or what? I was wanting to use FL plugins to tweak the sounds that I was using in Reason is there another way to do that or am I stuck using Reason effects with Reason sounds? Hope that makes sense.

Edit: My next question is double posted.

Midi data is controller data, not audio, so no it doesn't send it through a mixer insert.

When in ReWire client mode FL sends midi to the other host through a port, you can define it in the midi settings, but it defaults to port 10. To send midi through port ten set the midi out channel to send to port ten and it should enter Reason on that port.

It's all in the FL Manual under the ReWire section, take a look over there if you have more questions.

I'm a little confused as to what you'd like to do though, you want to send midi from FL over to Reason, have Reason send the Audio to FL for FX processing, then send it back to reason? That sounds a bit complicated, you *Might* be able to manage that if it's possible to use a DAW in both host and client mode at the same time, but I haven't done much with ReWire so I'm not sure.

Ooohhh makes sense, duh Rashad lol. But no that's not what I was wanting to do. I was thinkin the sounds were being transfered to FL Studio or somethin and I was just gonna do all of processing of my Reason sounds and stuff in FL Studio but now that I know it's just midi data bein carried over I know that won't work so that means I have to process all my Reason sounds in Reason and the same with FL studio. Thanks Zephyr.

• 2 weeks later...

Hrmm, that's a tricky one. Midi is only designed to send on 16 channels per Port so far as I know, I'd first suggest just trying to copy some of the midi over into Reason rather than running it all through FL, but if you'd rather not; there may be a possible work around. First I'd check the midi settings under the output tab in FL and check if there's more than one Reason Midi input available, also check Reason to see if there are settings regarding to receiving midi via ReWire.

If not, you may have to try loading up a second instance of FL Studio ReWire, then setting the midi out port on that instance to something other than port 10.

I've never done any ReWire before so I have no clue if these will work at all, I'm betting not, but give it a try anyways.

Good Luck!