Super Mario Galaxy remix (Battlerock Galaxy)

Theory of N

Hey guys. Been a while. Got a Super Mario Galaxy wip that I started...a long time ago. Maybe a year? I don't remember. I also don't remember if I had a wip thread for the old version or not, but I figure it's old enough to start a new one.

Anyway, I've done a lot of work on it since the last version. Let me know what you think.

http://ton.escariot.net/songs/remixes/Battlerock2.7.mp3

EDIT: forgot to put in source tune link. Here you go - http://ton.escariot.net/songs/sourcetunes/Battlerock.mp3

SMG had some awesome music. Probably the first time I played a game and the music didn't sneak up and grow on me - it jumped at me... and then grew on me. This is a great source.

Some velocity editing, and velocity-sensitive attack (not too much) on the guitar would make it a little more realistic. Guitar samples stand out a little too much now.

Glitchy effects? Me likey. :D That section starts sounding like there's some harsh frequencies in the bg, you might want to do an eq pass over that, check if there's any resonances you could reduce.

The kick drum sample is a bit heavy, gets especially noticeable in the end.

Source seems to be there, at least on the guitar the sine whistle in the bg. Too early in the morning to do any better analysis than that. :D

Yeah, this is cool. Keep at it.

Generally speaking I do like it, I feel like the production is fairly solid but the biggest element missing is a "push" factor or that "umph" element in the mix. I think it could come from a lack of velocity variation in the guitar (it is pleasant to hear, but it is bland) or tempo variations or anything. For a mix like this with an acoustic component I try to not quantize right on the beat to add a little bit of humanity. It could also be coming from the mixing, but I'm not so sure about that because everything else seems fine.

On an arrangement note it seems to be slightly repetitive and lack a real sense of direction of evolution, I really feel that the piece needs to progress in some direction, but instead we have the same pleasant idea continuing onward. There are some nice variations that proceed, but nothing quite like what you'd need to really make it a solid arrangement.

Keep at it, and I'll try to have another listen later on. (: