*NO* Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask 'The World Needs Healing'

Liontamer

Sources: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUNbm3vO4Cg from Majora's Mask, also a bit from #02 on the tloz alttp rsn, a bit I'm not sure is enough to count; and a little bit of Twilight Princess which hardly counts as anything but a poorly incorporated cameo.

"The World Needs Healing" -

I had a bunch of project tracks I should have been working on. I was looking for a new job (still looking at the time of writing). I was declining taking part in projects because I had too much to do already... And then I realized I was starting a new remix. This one. :D

It's my first sub in a long time that doesn't really involve synths much. Logic's decent-sounding but undersampled piano, some GarageBand Jam Pack instruments, a bowl-like synth sound, lazy-ass looped drums with mostly just volume changes...

I'm sure having collaborated with someone who could actually play piano and had better samples than I do would have made it real pretty, but I wanted to see how well I could do it myself. It's not awesome, but it's pretty enough to sub.

Any fatal flaws I missed?

-rozovian, #21613

--

memo: new file without annoying soft clicks

new file without white-like noise on strings

--------------------------------------------------------------

http://usf.hcs64.com/Legend%20of%20Zelda%20Majora%27s%20Mask,The%20(2000)(Nintendo%20EAD)(Nintendo).7z - 129 "Song of Healing"

There was a dullness to the soundfield that marred the whole thing. Sounded like some higher frequencies got lopped off, which was unfortunate because it really undermined the track, IMO. There were also timing/realism issues with the piano and string sequencing heard within the first minute that were difficult to ignore throughout the mix.

I thought the pacing of the arrangement caused it to drag on, but didn't mind it too much; didn't significantly affect my vote there. But the higher frequencies need to make a comeback, and the sequencing of the strings and especially the piano need to be refined before I could sign off on it. I'd definitely go for a resubmit if this doesn't make it, but I think this needs more polish.

NO (resubmit)

Yeah, this production is a step down from Rozo's other stuff, no doubt. All the instruments felt buried in reverbed and far back in the soundfield. The strings were the only thing that was in front and there only the mid frequencies, very odd, it also bled into the other sounds a lot. This need to sound much more balanced and full. I liked the instrument choices, didn't have a big problem with the piano but the strings felt both out of place and badly sequenced. The piano could definitely be changed for a mallet instrument or similar to escape some of the sequencing issues but like I said, didn't have a big problem with it.

Arrangement was pretty cool and even though the pacing caused it to feel a bit dragged out it had some nice dynamics and variation within. I think maybe you can work on the key changes to sound more natural and not disrupt the flow as much but nothing major. Maybe sprinkle some more source hints, especially during the second half, for great justice.

Sorry to say, this isn't quite there yet. I know you have it in you so keep working on this if you feel like it, you're off to a good start.

NO(resubmit)

I'm a fan of the soundscape, but not the part writing.

sonically, the samples are a little akward at times: the strings attack too slowly, and there's an ugly resonance somewhere around 200 Hz which should be addressed. Also, the dynamics of the tune are really all over the place. I'm inclined to say you have some writing chops, but you really need to work on your compositional dynamics.

NO