My real name: Allister M. Campbell

My website: www.myspace.com/AEmceeMuzik

My user id #: 27511

Submission Info

Name of game arranged: Sonic the Hedgehog 3

Name of song arranged: Final Boss

Orginal composer: SEGA sound team

My own comments about this remix:

Although this is based on a boss battle theme that was first in Sonic 3, the inspiration for this remix is from the boss fight against Mecha Sonic in S&K. This same theme played in that fight. I slowed the tempo down to a club-ish tempo. I tried to go for something that is not as fast as the original, but with more of a laid back vibe. The purpose of this laid back vibe is that, I wanted to let the melodies have more space on the track. Instead of the general fast paced riffs and such, I wanted them to…marinate more. I split the track into three sections, each part represents the “battle” between Sonic and Mecha Sonic. The beginning is the “build up” and “unleashing” of Mecha Sonics power. Its also the only part of the remix that contains the original melodies. The 2nd part, which is the first breakdown (when the melody breaks away from the original) is when Sonic gets the upper hand (hence the robot damage sound effects). And at the end, when the music hits a lull state, with the acoustic piano and such, is supposed to represent the calm after the battle (Mecha Sonics' retreat, Sonics relief).

In terms of how I put this together, I learned the original by ear for the first part of the remix. I added a few jazzy chords and slightly switched up the bass line, so that it fit the style of this remix more. The rest of the music after that, sounds related to the original, but is a different melody all together. I didn’t want it to be too repetitive. I pretty much just had fun with it, including 2 “solos”, I just played whatever came to mind (I use a midi interface with my piano). I did mix some drum samples with the manual drum patterns I made as well.

That’s pretty much all the insight I have for this remix. I would like to thank you guys at OC Remix for the opportunity to summit one of my works. I hope to hear from you soon. Take Care.

- A Emcee Muzik

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://ocremix.org/chip/2387 "Final Boss"

Overall, some cool arrangement ideas in this, very different from other takes I've heard. I thought the drums were solid with some cool effects applied to it. Great solo towards the end. One complaint I had was that it started to feel repetitive in the second section before the solo came into it. There wasn't enough direction there to keep this moving, it held the same patterns for a while first with minimal drums, then with heavier drums. More variety would have improved it.

The mixing was rough. There's a lot going on and the parts mush together, and the drums sounds like they are missing something. Also sounds overcompressed, the way the synth lead playing the quarter notes remains loud for so much of the song. The dynamics should have been more pronounced.

A lot of good, but some big problems.

NO (resubmit)

I was digging the intro. But when the groove comes in at :17, everything gets cluttlered. The shimmering synth lead is...fatiguing. it's playing waaay too much of the time. The bass is really busy but it doesn't cut through the mix, so it just adds mush to the low end. At the risk of being a Big Giant Compression hater, the drums have had a lot of the life crushed out of them.

This track just needs more space in it.

NO

This sounds really top heavy in terms of instrumentation and EQ. That crystal synth is too loud and overpowers everything.

Arrangement isn't bad; nice ideas, but ultimately too repetitive. I can't shake the feeling that some of the notes aren't transcribed from the original correctly. Maybe you changed them to fit harmonically but it sounds off to me.

Could use some sound adjustments and stronger presence in the low-end.

NO