Composers: Naoki Kodaka/Nobuyuki Hara/Shinichi Seya

System: Nintendo Entertainment System

Year: 1991

Own comments:

No comments

Source:

http://www.zophar.net/music/nsf/batman-return-of-the-joker-.html

1, 2, and 4 of the .nsf

Some nice guitar chops here, and some good expansion and ornamentation of the source, though overall It's a conservative mix. There is definitely more room to be expansive, besides the huge solo at the end.

Production wise, the drum are being pushed too hard. I mean, I push my drums too hard, but this is a little much. The opening clean guitar sounds way too dry, and it remains so until rest of the track comes in. Once the lead comes in, there is a good sense of space, but there's really no heft to the bass and rhythm guitar, so the track feels a little gutted. There were some performance timing issues as well in some spots, but if the production had been tighter, it would have been more overlookable.

I think the main theing that needs to be done is to tighten up the backing track. The lead was generally fine, but the rest needs improvement. Expanding on the arrangement as well would be a step in the right direction, though some judges might consider it strong and unique enough as is, since it incorporated multiple themes pretty seamlessly.

no, resubmit

OA hit most everything on this. The drums were pushed too high, they really started getting in the way of the guitars, and the sound wasn't very clean. I liked the guitars a lot more in comparison, the playing was cool, a lot of expression and tricks thrown in. But again, OA was right that they didn't quite fill out the track. This song felt sluggish and I think that comes down to not properly filling out the track. Careful with the tuning in the intro too, that sounded slightly out of tune with the rest of the song.

I thought the arrangement was fine - on the conservative side, but didn't exactly use the melodies straight. The soloing was very cool. Production is a killer, unfortunately. Please fix it up!

NO (resubmit)

Why does the snare rattle whenever there's a kick? These are samples..oooh that's the reverb. I recommend changing that to something more natural sounding, maybe a bit darker. The guitar sounds really good, and there are some interesting production tricks..ear candy like panning a delay hard opposite the dry signal.

My primary thoughts here are that the guitar is really good, but the arrangement of the track is kind of lackluster and meandering. It's a rather generic backdrop for four minutes of guitar wankery. I think you could tone down the wankery a bit and look at the track as a whole in terms of dynamics and progression.

NO