My website won't display. Do you know why?

The Legendary Zoltan

Because I freaking don't.

I created the most humble of websites at the following URL.

http://n-legend.com/

If you click on that, you should only see a bunch of weird symbols on a white background. If I open the html file directly from windows explorer, it displays perfectly. So I can't figure out why it's unreadable on the internet. I uploaded to a server called Lunar Pages. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance for your help.

What character encoding are you using? It looks to me like you're using some kind of non-standard two-bytes-per-character encoding. Possibly you're uploading it as a binary file to your server instead of a text file or it's getting garbled in some other way. Save the original source file as UTF-8, which can be multibyte when necessary but for standard ascii characters (as all web servers require for HTML tags and such), it will be single byte.

Glad to help. I just figured out how UTF-8 and other multi-byte character sets worked a week ago, as I needed to know for work (I write software that we localize to all kinds of languages, so we need to support that kind of thing), so it was more just luck that I saw the problem and knew what was up.

Briefly, UTF-8 is a format that uses one or two bytes for character, depending on the character. Some other character sets always use two bytes per character, so to represent standard ASCII characters (the English alphabet and numbers and such), one byte is, I think, 0 and the next is the ASCII representation. All those weird characters every other byte were probably the 0 bytes.