AC:WW - The Roost

TheKrow

I was going for simple, relaxing, and laid back with this track (which it already kinda is), but I wanted to take it and shape it into a more of complete song. I really liked the style of the original, so I sought to improve it a bit.

Any feedback is fine, I just mostly need opinions on the quality. Still need a name too.

WIP 1: stats.png

Original: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VSLKXrsjg9A&feature=related

I like the jazzy atmosphere but it's feeling very empty right now. The bass frequencies are the only range that feels properly filled out for the whole mix - adding in some supporting pads/strings/chords to give the midranges some body, and EQing the piano writing to make it more prominent would make the mix feel a lot more properly balanced.

With the piano, I've got several gripes. Your sample sounds very MIDI-ish - I know there's free samples out there that sound better than this, so replacing your piano sound would bring up the quality of this mix a lot. Watch your velocities too - with this genre especially you want to make sure that your instruments sound like they're being played by a human, and I'm not getting that feeling here :sad:

Around halfway through the song, your piano riffs start conflicting and it sounds really awkward, partly because of the lack of humanization and also because the note timing just doesn't line up. Having countermelodies is definitely a plus for the song but they're clashing here. Perhaps panning the different piano parts and working out the kinks in the writing would make that section in the middle work a bit better, but as it stands it's kind of messy.

I've got a bit more to say but I don't want to inundate you with too many critiques at once, so just work on the piano and filling out the soundscape more with some supporting pads/strings, and then we can talk about the other details. I'll keep my eye on this one!

Good luck :-)