Space Quest 3: Thermal Unders

SynthSage

I love Sierra games, and I love Sierra music. It's my goal to make a quality remix of one of the classic songs one of these days.

I really like the original of this song, but I'm kind of new at mastering and would appreciate any feedback.

Thanks in advance for your help,

Defiance

img.php?fid=754

Here is the original:

http://www.spacequest.net/sq3/soundtrack/SQ3_01-%20Introduction.mp3

• 2 weeks later...

Now, having as broad a preference of musical genres as I do, I checked this out.

I really like it. A lot. Drums could stand out a bit more, but I'm not one of those totally badass remixers whose words you should trust.

Where the hell are they? They should be checking this out!

CALLING ALL DARKESWORD AND DJPRETZEL AND STUFF.

this has some pretty good moments, but it's underpowered - there's a fair amount of headroom for volume, and the soundscape is a little empty at times. also the mix seems slightly 'squeezed' into the higher frequencies - nothing piercing, but it could use some more low-end. the placement of that melodic synth at :45 seems a bit awkward to me; i'd suggest adding an inverted delay, or centering it and adding some stereo spread. drums could use some more punch, and the rhythms more variation - they get a little repetitive (moreso during the first half).

cool down-tempo take on the source - has an eerier, more discordant feel than the original, with some nice embellishments and variations, but the builds are a bit weak and the synths are kinda generic. liking the bit at 1:45, and the break from 2:22-2:51. cool stuff.

anyway, hope this has helped. keep it up!

• 1 month later...

Update

_______

Phew! Been a while. Just finished finals.

I widened the background pad (or tried to), tweaked the levels, and specifically added some bass. I tried to get the song louder, but I'm still learning how to do that exactly. The main content remains unchanged, because any change I make I'm not satisfied with.

Thanks for the feedback, I'm still learning, so any tips are very appreciated.

Defiance

• 9 months later...

So, I got a "resubmit" from the judges, so I'm back to the drawing board. I've shortened some spots, repanned my synths, added a couple embellishments to the drums and to some transitions, as well as added some filtering envelopes. I like the sound now, but I'm still not sure if I've addressed all the areas that the judges mentioned. It's hard for me to gauge whether or not I'm any closer than I was.

What do you think? Is it any better?

My original submission:

http://www.uscollectacoin.com/wp-content/uploads/Thermal-Unders.mp3

My new revision:

img.php?fid=1079

What the judges said:

http://ocremix.org/forums/showthread.php?t=31407&highlight=Defiance